Programable Remote Starters

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
On my Suburban I have a remote starter which can be programed to start the engine every few hours. That way, when the truck is parked outside, the engine will be frequently started and makes it much more likely to start when I return.

The JC Whitney catalog shows remote starters for diesels. Do they make a programable remote starter for trucks with diesel engines? Has anyone had any experience using them?

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Larry,

I have not personally used a remote starter...I only hear the experiences of other drivers...and what I've heard is lots of problems. :(

The most common report is that the security feature malfunctions and leaves the driver stranded. Terry O. said the other day that he lost a "juicy run" because the security feature overrode the ignition system.

I have only heard B unit cargo vans with these installed. I think the transmission must be an automatic for the system to work.

Lawrence
Expediters Online.Com

tr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I know of a few drivers that have the remote. I have one myself now for about 18 months and never had a problem with it. I only have the basic remote starter, nothing fancy i.e, security system etc. I bought it at Best Buy and had them install it. It works great. Especially in the winter. I will start the truck about 10 minutes before going outside, have all the heater controls and defrost set up to max so it will defrost the widows and be toasty when I get in.
Also on those cold nights, it is nice to reach up and start the motor and go back to sleep, I have mine set to run for ten minutes. Great for getting up in the am also. As I recall my unit alone was less than $100.00, forgot the installation price but it was not that much.
You can get fancy ones or just the simple one like I have. It can also be programmed to start up 4 times a night (I think it is) and run for what ever time programmed, but I find this feature useless for the time being. Good Luck TR

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
TR,

Do you have the remote on a straight truck or cargo van?

Thanks,
Lawrence
Expediters Online.Com

Mudflap

Expert Expediter
I know that Cummins makes (and will install) a remote starter that is programable from the coolant temperature. This unit is available only for the I series electronic engines (B or C Series) I would have bought one but I run an older 1995 unit without the computer module. I don't recall the price of this unit but was a heck of a lot cheaper than the stand alone heater/cooler/power units.