Prices on rebuilding heavy truck engines

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I don´t often get stuck on an internet search, but I searched all over the net trying to find price comparisons on rebuilding heavy truck engines. Does anyone out there know a web site that lists prices of rebuilding the big engines? Or, does anyone know the average cost of rebuilding a cummins, or detroit? Also, the pros and cons of a reman? any info that can point me in the right direction will be much appreciated. During my search I could not find any data on pricing.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Jsper Engines out of Jasper Indiana rebuild engines but you need to send the block to them or take a reconditoned one out of their stocks.
If you call they can send you prices. I have been told by my local Cummins Service Manager,whom I trust that to rebuild a Cummins C 8.3 runs between $4-6 K depending on the condition of the turbo. They change out the bearings ,put on a new cylinder head,new cylinder liners etc.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Typical in frame rebuilds for big 3 engines run in the $6-8k range. Some CAT's (The ones with multiple heads) cost a little more, but not much. Penn Detroit usually runs a summer special on Series 60 in frames- $6700 with turbo. Best part is a class 8 engine can typically go 800k-1 million miles before needing the in-frame.
I don't know where there are any dollar-to-dollar comparisons between individual engine rebuild costs, and I'm sure it varies widely depending on who is rebuilding it and what it may need. Sometimes the engine may need things beyond the standard in-frame kit, such as a cam and lifters, which will add to the cost.
An engine with an in-frame rebuild that is done correctly should be as good as new. We had good luck with an in-frame done on a Cummins C8.3 little engine that was done by Cummins Northeast.
-Weave-