Preserving your mental/emotional well-being on the road

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
After talking to one of my new drivers this morning, it got me thinking about how important it is for anyone driving over the road, to preserve their sanity. Being away from home for days or even weeks on end can take a tolls on one's well being, in a mental/emotional way. I have found that preserving my privacy on the road was a key factor in being able to continue to function my top level, day in and day out.

There have been times, especially a couple years back when things slowed down a bit, that I had to wait a little longer between loads than I had been accustomed to. But there have only been a couple occasions where I started to feel "homeless." It's a terrible feeling and can cause someone to make some really bad choices. But most times, I have been able to hold it together, even when things were not going as well as planned. For me, it was knowing that I had a place to sleep and rest, where no one could peer in at me, that made all the difference. Even the small things like a curtain across the dash as opposed to just the one between the front seat and sleeper, allowed me to maximize the space that was mine while recovering from work. I know it's probably more difficult for vans, because your vehicle windows are at eye level to passersby, and if you're up front and in a plaza somewhere, everyone looks at you like you're up to no good. This may not be an issue for some personalities, but for me, it was privacy that has helped me to maintain emotional stability on the road.

What tools have helped you to preserve your sanity on the road?

Monty

Expert Expediter
Some folks are just not adapted to the trucking lifestyle.

Only a few times have I been "homesick", and I have always found a way to occupy myself. And the mobile Internet has made that even easier.

That is why I caution newbies to tread lightly. If they are not comfortable with themselves, (inner peace), they can torture themselves with phobia's.

I love being alone for long periods of time, (but still connected via the phone and Internet). I am a control freak, and the best way to do that is to be responsible for myself and surroundings.

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
when my levels rise, we put it in the wind and head to the house-where we divide and seperate, regroup for another round. music sooths the beast within for me-I can always escape thru my mind.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This is a business that requires one, for the most part, to be away from home for long periods of time. All considering starting an expediting business should be sure to give this issue a lot of thought.

This business is our only means of income. It does not matter how we "feel" about things. We do what we can to relieve stress. We try to get out into the country as much as possible. I fish when I get a chance. Then, there is always a good "argument" in the "Soapbox" to help kill the slow hours.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

1. Sleep management. Nothing is fun when you are tired and it goes without saying that driving tired is dangerous. Diane and I make sleep management our TOP priority. Nothing is more important. In addition to the safety benefits, you just feel better when you are well rested. That's good for the attitude and good for the soul.

2. Mood management. This is done with an intentional mental focus on positive resources and topics.

3. It is easy to take it for granted now that we have had it for five years but our big sleeper with a kitchen, bathroom and shower makes life on the road so much easier and more pleasant. Ample storage space enables us to carry everything we want and need on the road without tripping over it all the time or moving something else out of the way to get at whatever we wish to pick up at the time. It's nice to enjoy a full home-cooked meal in the sleeper, have the table space to run two computers (his and hers), have room to iron your clothes, etc.

This ARI sleeper is warm in the winter, cool in the summer and has saved us thousands of long walks across parking lots at all times of the day and night, in all kinds of weather. When we were driving fleet owner trucks, I was mindful of how much truck drivers have in common with street people. Those thoughts faded when we moved into our big-sleeper truck.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
I have found when a person eats craps and showers in their truck they loose many social skills.

1. Sleep management. Nothing is fun when you are tired and it goes without saying that driving tired is dangerous. Diane and I make sleep management our TOP priority. Nothing is more important. In addition to the safety benefits, you just feel better when you are well rested. That's good for the attitude and good for the soul.

2. Mood management. This is done with an intentional mental focus on positive resources and topics.

3. It is easy to take it for granted now that we have had it for five years but our big sleeper with a kitchen, bathroom and shower makes life on the road so much easier and more pleasant. Ample storage space enables us to carry everything we want and need on the road without tripping over it all the time or moving something else out of the way to get at whatever we wish to pick up at the time. It's nice to enjoy a full home-cooked meal in the sleeper, have the table space to run two computers (his and hers), have room to iron your clothes, etc.

This ARI sleeper is warm in the winter, cool in the summer and has saved us thousands of long walks across parking lots at all times of the day and night, in all kinds of weather. When we were driving fleet owner trucks, I was mindful of how much truck drivers have in common with street people. Those thoughts faded when we moved into our big-sleeper truck.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I suppose that is why it take a "certain" personality to do this job for so long and still maintain a sense of sanity..

I am sure if a study was done, they'd find we have a missing gene or something like that...;)

We are a group that has very little structure in our lives...

Where will we be in 3 days from now?...don't know
What will we earn in the next week or month from now? don't know....

A lot of people just can't handle this...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I have found when a person eats craps and showers in their truck they loose many social skills.

Not really all that true. Most who have to get out of their trucks seem to be more anti-social than those who make the effort to stay in the truck.

As for the subject at hand, outside the ARI commercial, I agree with Phil.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Yea, we're all wired a lil bit differently. Not saying anyone is right or wrong. Sorta like being right or left handed.

I have a devil of a time getting to sleep, but on the other I can sleep anywhere once I'm tired. Sleeping in the van is something I can do pretty easily. Maybe cuz there's nothing else to do. It's trying to sleep at my house that's tough. I'm local, but if I know I have an early AM run, like 6 or earlier, I'll just stay up all nite. Otherwise I'm apt to oversleep cuz I'll toss & turn.

One thing that got mentioned, & I'm opening myself up to jokes here, is going to the bathroom. I'm not saying this as a joke though. I've always had to REALLY have to go before I can sit down. That's in part why I got hotel rooms so often.

The main thing though is to keep moving. Being out there is easier IMO when you're getting runs every day. I don't think human beings in general were meant to sit 3 days in a little box.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
After talking to one of my new drivers this morning, it got me thinking about how important it is for anyone driving over the road, to preserve their sanity.
That is predicated on the assumption that some of us have sanity to preserve. Me, I talk to my Q.C., my wheelchock and sometimes I even talk to myself.

I have found that preserving my privacy on the road was a key factor in being able to continue to function my top level, day in and day out.

When I first joined E.O. a very senior member, redytrk, had for his icon a brown paper grocery bag with holes cut out for the eyes, nose and mouth. I was inspired by his icon and have found that wearing such a paper bag helps me to preserve my privacy on the road. It does get hot wearing it in the summer and banks make me remove it at their door, but I'm always welcome at Wally World!

Sanity is just a state of mind, but formaldehyde is forever.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That is predicated on the assumption that some of us have sanity to preserve. Me, I talk to my Q.C., my wheelchock and sometimes I even talk to myself.

Whereas I've quit yelling at the idiots on tv, by not having one, thereby preserving whatever sanity I had left.

When I first joined E.O. a very senior member, redytrk, had for his icon a brown paper grocery bag with holes cut out for the eyes, nose and mouth. I was inspired by his icon and have found that wearing such a paper bag helps me to preserve my privacy on the road. It does get hot wearing it in the summer and banks make me remove it at their door, but I'm always welcome at Wally World!

That could be fun: using markers & crayons to create new disguises. Could be scary though, wearing a brown [or white] bag in the wrong neighborhood...

Sanity is just a state of mind, but formaldehyde is forever.

Sanity is the law's way of saying "If you can't do the time...."
Maybe Jefferson gave us too much credit, presuming we have sanity to preserve. :D

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
So, any advice for newbies learning to pace themselves on the road? How do you pass the time, when you have more time on your hands than expected?

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I first joined E.O. a very senior member, redytrk, had for his icon a brown paper grocery bag with holes cut out for the eyes, nose and mouth. I was inspired by his icon and have found that wearing such a paper bag helps me to preserve my privacy on the road.

You must be constantly getting mobbed by fans that think you're the Unknown Comic.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
So, any advice for newbies learning to pace themselves on the road? How do you pass the time, when you have more time on your hands than expected?

Sorry, Jefferson - blame it on the eggnog.
'More time than expected' isn't a problem for me: if there's time left after dealing with maintenance/repair, paperwork/bookkeeping, shopping/cleaning/laundry, meal prep/cleanup, downloading audiobooks for future long drives, catching up with family/friends, I can always take a nap, lol.
If I could, I'd love to have a wii, but the configuration of the sleeper just won't work with it [and I'd hurt myself on the 'sports' activities, no doubt] so I have to get exercise walking - couple laps around WalMart every chance I get. [Contrary to rumour, it's deliberate, not because I'm forgetful]:D

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
'More time than expected' isn't a problem for me: if there's time left after dealing with maintenance/repair, paperwork/bookkeeping, shopping/cleaning/laundry, meal prep/cleanup, downloading audiobooks for future long drives, catching up with family/friends, I can always take a nap, lol.
If I could, I'd love to have a wii, but the configuration of the sleeper just won't work with it [and I'd hurt myself on the 'sports' activities, no doubt] so I have to get exercise walking - couple laps around WalMart every chance I get. [Contrary to RUMOR, it's deliberate, not because I'm forgetful]:D

There, fixed it for ya. Been hanging out with them commie Canuckians a tad too much lately?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
First and foremost, your truck must be comfortable, otherwise you won't want to spend time in it. You have to have a hobby or something to pass the time. I play on the computer, watch TV (satellite in the truck), and read. I also like sleep. I'm a big fan of sleep.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
egg%20nog.jpg