Pre-Trip Challenge Expo 2015

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Calling all CDL holders to try their hand at performing a Pre-Trip for some really nice prizes sponsored by TA/Petro and FYDA.

This challenge is set up to be fun and also challenging with every participant receiving a small prize and the top five scores will receive a RoadSquad Roll On Cooler, and the Grand Prize winner will receive 25,000 UltraOne Points (a $250 value). Prizes provided by TA/Petro.

Everyone with a CDL can participate in the challenge that will be held Friday and Saturday of the Expo in Booth #A4. Times will be 10:30am, 12:30pm, and 2:30pm and the truck will have commonly found defects. Each person will be allotted an adequate period of time to find as many defects as possible.

Since the pre-trip will be inside there will be a few things left out of the inspection such as starting the truck, bleeding down the brakes, opening the hood, or crawling under the truck. Testing the horn will also not be necessary... This challenge is meant to be fun and also a learning tool to learn more about performing a pre-trip.

Looking forward to see you at the Expedite Expo July 24th and 25th, 2015 in Wilmington, OH at the Roberts Convention Centre. Lots and LOTS of free truck parking at the Centre and registration is free. See you there.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A pre-trip inspection competition is more difficult than one might think. You do a pre-trip every day so it should be easy, but sometimes the most obvious defects are the ones that get overlooked. I was in an ATA State Truck Rodeo in the 5 axle flatbed class. The trailer had two nice, new 4x4 timbers on the deck. One perfectly aligned across the front of the trailer, the other across the rear. Neither were secured. Had I touched those timbers I probably would have noticed, but I didn't and lost a bunch of points.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Moot you are right at the ATA competitions they are really tough as they need to be. This Pre-Trip will be done on a straight truck that FYDA is providing.

What I like about this pre-trip is that it is a reminder of things we need to check or look at and we forget sometimes or they become invisible as we are used to looking at them.

I hope everyone will have fun and look at it also as a learning experience or to show off their skills.

Reactions: Bruno and Turtle

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I remember when I set the first truck for the Skills Challenge that Roberts Express/ FedEx Custom Critical once had we did one thing that no driver ever got. I won't tell because it may be on this one. Why FedEx Custom Critical did away with the Skills Challenge is beyond me. It's a great thing for the drivers, and the safety department. It took me three years of asking to get them to do it.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Not sure why they quit doing the challenge as it was a lot of fun. The pre-trip is also meant to be fun and also educational. I know I am always picking up tips from other people on what to look for. Today I had to make a phone call to a friend about hazmat placards that I thought were put on wrong and needed clarification. The more we can learn the less our chances are of being caught at a scale with a violation.

Reactions: Bruno