Pre-oilers

G

Is any one running a pre-oiler system? I understand from my supplier that when used on heavy equipment engines, wear is reduced by 80% or more over cold starts without a pre-oiler. I am considering installing a system on my next truck. This is supposed to prevent the wear mentioned by Dale in another post re: syn. oil.
It seems logical to me as the engine will not start until oil is released into the engine.

G

there is a fine line on pre oilers.what does this system cost.a good synthetic oil in a lighter visc for cold temps,and block heater is a more economical.i know detroits that have gone over 750000 miles with harvard by pass filter and using conklin,amsoil,and schaffer oils either synthetic or simi-synthetic.there are lab studies out there showing how fast sythetic oils reach galley in 6 seconds.reg oil takes as much as 18 sec.when you start engine cold dont rev up. let idle till oil warms up.idling also does not activate your turbo.syn has a better film.bottom line is that if you can run your motor 750000 miles with fewer oil changes,why spend more.

G

added note i am not saying their good or bad.you have to look at cost of unit and what you will gain from its use.a report i saw said that 90% of engine wear was caused by cold weather starts.its the film that protects your engine,not temp or preasure on a cold start.