Pre dispatch load info

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Why must you wait until delivery of the current load to get the info on the following load? Send it already. Then you can confirm your routing while sitting at the shipper and/or cons of the current load. Then you can be on the way several minutes sooner instead of having to pick your nose while waiting after the QC says now send message one. When are we going to modernize systems and move into the current century? Or is the question are we ever going to modernize and come into the current century or are we going to forever lag behind lesser companies?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sometimes they listen. Good idea Leo. Shoot, we even got a hazmat reroute BEFORE we picked up the load! How strange is that?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, I am abrupt and I acknowledge it. I just don't have the patience or the inclination to sugarcoat things. Fedex is a great company but in some areas they are far behind the curve. Instead of talking a good game with councils etc. and maybe in a year or three getting around to a small percentage of the things that are long overdue already they need to get someone who cuts to the chase and attack a to do list and put us ahead of everyone else now. If others can do it, and already have done it, it's both sad and inexcusable for us not to.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Awesome post, Leo. I fear, however, that little will change.

A good start would be to train surface dispatchers not to treat drivers like the fat, lazy, greasy scum they think we are.

Next, someone could plaster a big sign in the dispatchers's area that says, "More Info IS Better". I detest surprises, and frequently do loads that are missing a pretty important piece of information.

Also, maybe someone can enlighten me on the function of the driver's council.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Sometimes they listen. Good idea Leo. Shoot, we even got a hazmat reroute BEFORE we picked up the load! How strange is that?

ALWAYS get your reroute before pickup so you can plan the route and if there are any questions they can be addressed. Getting the route before hand has only been a problem with surface dispatchers a couple of times.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
ALWAYS get your reroute before pickup so you can plan the route and if there are any questions they can be addressed. Getting the route before hand has only been a problem with surface dispatchers a couple of times.

We have been told on multiple occasions that they do NOT give out the routing until the load is on the truck. We asked our CC about that and was given the same answer. We were told that was "policy". This one load was the FIRST time we had routing prior to arriving at the shipper. I have NO idea where the breakdown is. You are not the first that told me that they get it prior to pick up.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm not talking about rerouting though. I'm talking about the actual load information. What possible reason is there to not give the info immediately? Safety should be all over this because it's a safety issue. As a company, we talk the talk of safety but we certainly don't walk the walk or things would be done differently in various respects.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm not talking about rerouting though. I'm talking about the actual load information. What possible reason is there to not give the info immediately? Safety should be all over this because it's a safety issue. As a company, we talk the talk of safety but we certainly don't walk the walk or things would be done differently in various respects.

You are correct.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Joe we haul a lot of DoD and maybe that is the difference as it is never a problem to have the route emailed to the the truck.

Once the load has been dispatched I send a message on the QC asking that the reroute be sent to my email address. Usually within a short period of time I have a confirmation from a dispatcher that the reroute has been emailed.

Last edited:

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
you pick your nose! eeeww gross. when we went from drivers too owner's we couldn't beleive we had too go thru two day's of oreintation just too get new badge's,new truck
#(bought truck off fleet owner) fuel card & new permit's & sign a contract.This could of all been done in half a day!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Joe we haul a lot of DoD and maybe that is the difference as it is never a problem to have the route emailed to the the truck.

Once the load has been dispatched I send a message on the QC asking that the reroute be sent to my email address. Usually within a short period of time I have a confirmation from a dispatcher that the reroute has been emailed.

That could be it. The ONE load that we did get routing early for was a DOD load. They did email us that routing.

It would benefit all of us if ALL hazmat routing was sent prior to picking up the load. They want us to leave as soon as loaded. On more than one occasion we have driven "past" a reroutes because they got us the routing several hours after we left the shipper. It can be fixed.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Joe ask for the reroute to be emailed to you instead of waiting on them.

We have always found when we sit through orientation, WG training, HazMat training we learn something new or we are able to get information clarified that makes our lives easier. Not saying all of it is good as parts can get boring that is only for the new people. Just saying we always learn something new in a class.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We are going to be at FedEx on the 4th of Jan. We are setting aside time to talk with some people when we are there. We try to do that every time we are there. This was one of the subjects we were planning on bringing up.

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
We would like to see the load information sooner also. I like to look at Google Earth, our GPS and the actual c-link text routings to try to spot any "issues" as far in advance as posible. Having to wait until finishing a load to get the information sometimes doesn't allow us a chance to do this, especially when our pickup is fairly close to our previous drop. We like to be as prepared as possible, and it gives a chance to ask dispatch questions if needed.

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
That could be it. The ONE load that we did get routing early for was a DOD load. They did email us that routing.

It would benefit all of us if ALL hazmat routing was sent prior to picking up the load. They want us to leave as soon as loaded. On more than one occasion we have driven "past" a reroutes because they got us the routing several hours after we left the shipper. It can be fixed.

I have never been told to leave before getting my haz reroute. (I have also never received a reroute before loading- best I can remember.)
How is it possible to leave a shipper without the haz reroute?
Also, has anyone else had problems opening the emailed routing? We recently had this problem -and incorrect routing on top of that- and lost three hours fixing it.
Agreed; I should have the reroute before I get to the shipper. And with the op, too. Surprises cost everyone money.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
We once did a hazmat going out of Boston to the far southwest.I was informed that I could not enter Ct. I wanted to wait for a reroute. I soon got a call from girl whose job it was to get me a Ct permit. She wanted wb and other info. On her third or fourth call, after I informed her AGAIN that I COULD NOT ENTER CT she answered I DON'T CARE, MY JOB IS TO GET YOUR CT PERMIT. Her next call was SORRY, just go to Maybrook,Ny and we'll route you from there . They routed me to Maybrook....THRU CT ! An hour had passed so I said I'm leaving. Taking 90 west. Please have routing by the time I hit the NY line. An hour or so later we got it straightened out. I lost 2 hours sleep. It affects my pricing on future loads of this type.

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I imagine that sometimes they don't want to give info early for security reasons. Or, if the load cancels the driver may have an issue with shipper. Or with another driver that happens to be picking up the cancelled load. I load Tue on a straight thru, non-confirmed del for 22:00 . I would do things differently if I KNEW today if it'll be a 22:00 del or a 07:00 the next day. Insignificant fact to dispatch;important to how I plan my time.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
I imagine that sometimes they don't want to give info early for security reasons. Or, if the load cancels the driver may have an issue with shipper. Or with another driver that happens to be picking up the cancelled load. I load Tue on a straight thru, non-confirmed del for 22:00 . I would do things differently if I KNEW today if it'll be a 22:00 del or a 07:00 the next day. Insignificant fact to dispatch;important to how I plan my time.

I'm wondering out loud why another FDCC driver would be picking up your cancelled load, unless there was an equipment or HOS issue, and then why would there be a beef?

I would agree with the security thing, but would guess and say that's once in a blue moon.