Practices That Maintain The Carrier/Contractor Relationship In Oregon

Luke Kibby

New Recruit
Safety & Compliance
On July 20th, an Oregon appeals court ruled that owner-operators leased to Portland, OR company CEVA Freight are independent contractors according to Oregon state law and not company employees. This ruling frees the carrier from paying unemployment tax, and other certain taxes, on the owner-operators’ compensation.

How Did This Ruling Come About?

According to CCJ, the Oregon Employment Department originally brought its complaint against CEVA Freight following an audit of the carrier’s 2009 and 2011 unemployment tax payments. The state’s labor department had asserted the truckers should have been classified as company employees and that CEVA must pay unemployment tax on their wages. An administrative law judge upheld the state labor department’s findings, which CEVA challenged. The July 20 ruling by the appellate court reverses the lower judge’s ruling, a victory for CEVA Freight

A three-judge panel for the Oregon Court of Appeals said in their decision that per Oregon law’s four-part test for determining whether a contractor is an employee, the owner-operators were not company employees.

What Oregon State Law Says About Determining Independent Contractors

Both the Bureau of Labor and Industries (BOLI) and the Department of Consumer and Business Services’ Workers Compensation Division are required by court decisions to use different criteria to determine independent contractor status. These agencies require that the worker meet all the criteria of ORS 670.600 in order to be considered an independent contractor.

Under ORS 670.600, workers may be properly classified as independent contractors provided they:

• Are free from direction and control, beyond the right of the service recipient to specify the desired result, AND
  • Are licensed under ORS 671 or 701 (State Landscape Architect Board or Landscape Contractors Board and State Board of Architect Examiners or Construction Contractors Board) if licensure is required for the service, AND
  • Are responsible for other licenses or certificates necessary to provide the service AND
  • Are customarily engaged in an “independently established business.
What Did CEVA Freight Require Of The Owner-Operators?

Many Owner-Operators operate under CEVA Freight’s authority, as is common industry practice. The owner-operators in question in the employment case, according to court documents:

• Either owned or leased their trucks
  • Paid for their own business licenses
  • Paid for their own insurance
  • Paid for their own fuel, tires, maintenance, tools and uniforms
CEVA Freight’s requirements included the owner-operator to:

• Have trucks be white and split the costs with CEVA Freight to have the carrier’s logo decaled on the side
  • Wear CEVA Freight uniforms and carrier CEVA Freight identification
  • Attend some CEVA Freight required driver meetings
  • and follow other standard requirements, like delivering loads within a certain window of time
However, those stipulations weren’t compelling enough to convince the court that the truckers were company employees. “Apart from those requirements, CEVA played little role in how owner-operators performed their work. Owner-operators provided and operated their own trucks and could hire their own drivers, establish their own work schedules, routes and delivery schedules, and load their vehicles according to their preferences. The direction-and-control test does not require that an independent contractor be free of all direction and control,” the judges write in their ruling.

This ruling is significant as it reaffirms traditional industry standards of how owner-operators and leased-on carrier are treated and compensated as contractors.

Reactions: RoadTime

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
Ceva Richmond ,va we come and go as we please, work when we want
This is first time I head of this about ceva
FedEx ground had this problem while back to

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The Oregon deal was a government money grab attempt by the state employment department. They were looking for millions of dollars in back unemployment taxes.

FedEx Ground in California was different, in that it was the drivers who initiated the lawsuit. Employees trigger a litany of federal and state tax withholding, fringe benefit, anti-discrimination, health care, pension, worker’s compensation and unemployment insurance obligations. FedEx Ground tried to get around all that by simply labeling them as independent contractors. FedEx was able to shift to its drivers the costs of FedEx branded trucks, FedEx branded uniforms, FedEx scanners, fuel, maintenance, insurance, and more. Drivers were not provided pay for missed meals, rest periods, overtime compensation, etc. FedEx Ground settled the class action lawsuit for $228 million.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ceva Richmond ,va we come and go as we please, work when we want
This is first time I head of this about ceva
FedEx ground had this problem while back to
so you don't have to show up to do your deliveries?...you can quit half way thru the day and go home and not make deliveries?....

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
you have to compete job when you start, and finish it up
what I said I come in go as I please tell them a couple of day's a head of time when I'm taking off
not like some you have to have a sub to work for you
if I'm not working my truck is not moving with out me in it

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
you have to compete job when you start, and finish it up
what I said I come in go as I please tell them a couple of day's a head of time when I'm taking off
not like some you have to have a sub to work for you
if I'm not working my truck is not moving with out me in it
Thanks for clearing that up