Power Inverters

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Whats have you used, whats good, Bad...Ive never used one but Im going to Install a smaller one to Power some small Items such as Laptop/Printer and possibly a small Fridge, Whats been your experience with Inverters and Battery issues, I would definelty want one with the Low Voltage warning.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Mine has gone out. I am not wanting to buy the cheap truck stop stuff again. I am looking at a 3000-5000 watt pure sine wave inverter. They run between 800-1500 depending on model. I am looking at Aims. Their 3000 watt is $700, the 5000 is $1000. I am just now sure of which size to get.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
I dont want a cheap ojne either, these thing can get hot and I dont want a fire etc, I want something thats durable, the pure sine wave units sound like the way to go....its only expensive once.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
In the world of pure sine wave, AIMS is low end. They're not bad, but not exactly the best. For that you need to look at Xantrex and the others in that price range - double the price of AIMS.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Mine has gone out. I am not wanting to buy the cheap truck stop stuff again. I am looking at a 3000-5000 watt pure sine wave inverter. They run between 800-1500 depending on model. I am looking at Aims. Their 3000 watt is $700, the 5000 is $1000. I am just now sure of which size to get.

Inverter FAQ

this site was the single most helpful when I wanted to learn about inverters - they don't assume you already know it all, and they explain what you need to know [how much inverter, which kind, etc] very clearly. Not just the inverters, but the cables, connections, batteries, etc - and they offer to walk you through installation [by phone] if you have questions or problems.
Prices aren't bad, either, lol.

PS a quick glance at their FAQ reveals they don't recommend higher than 3000 watt inverters for a truck - I didn't read why, but you might want to, before you spend big bucks....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
In the world of pure sine wave, AIMS is low end. They're not bad, but not exactly the best. For that you need to look at Xantrex and the others in that price range - double the price of AIMS.

How bad, or good, are the Aims units? How well do they hold up compared to the truck stop junk?

Also, is anyone aware of a place in the Detroit/Toledo area that sells REAL inverters? By real I mean other than truck stop junk.

Last edited:

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
Bought an Aims about 3 years ago and it was a piece of crap...it caused lines on the TV and made the microwave sound as though it was going to blow up....called the Aims dealer in the Reno area and talked to the tech and explained I wouldn't be able to wait for them to send a replacement because I had to get rolling and to just refund my money....he agreed so I packed it up and sent it back...that was simple (I thought)...well with shipping and insurance charges off it went....about 3 weeks later it occurred to me that I hadn't heard from them so I called again and got Oh! we lost your contact info and that they'd be issuing a refund in a couple of days...well this went back and forth a couple more times when wo and behold I got a refund which was minus a 20% restocking fee....I said that was BS because they'd be selling the same defected inverter to someone else...they didn't care...so it cost me around $185.00 just to be able to touch a crappy piece of equipment....they got me that time and I'll do my part from now on to get them back...Buy the good stuff!!!!!!

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Like the article says its all in the Installation and wiring quality that makes these units work best, I would always Over rate my cable so if it called for 10 ga I would use 6 ga....especially if your working out West where Ambient temperatures can affect a wires ability to carry current, so over rated wiring and connectors....and know the DUTY CYCLE of these things, some arent rated for full time use, The APU is the best way to go, but if that doesnt fit the budget right away Im going to install a nice Inverter. I know I dont want one smaller then 1500-2500 watts that way Ive got capacity to operate a couple items and never get hot or reach the duty cycle ratings...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I had a 3000 Watt AIMS PSW inverter. The positive and negative terminals are basically a nut and a bolt. The nut holds on the positive terminal bolt in place came off, rattled around inside the box, shorted stuff and fried the unit. Prior to being fried, it worked perfectly. I had one on the houseboat that worked perfectly for years, but on a houseboat they don't take the same kind of beating they do on smaller, faster watercraft or on board expediter vehicles. I know other expediters who have had their AIMS units fail way sooner than they should. I'm thinking the AIMS units are fine, but aren't very rugged at all. RLENT had to return his for replacement 2 or 3 times, I think.

Xantrex (PROsine, not PROwatt), Go Power (also branded as Carmanah), Outback, Charles Marine, are all good brands for PSW inverters. Solid, rugged, few complaints, good warranties. You want at least a one year warranty, two is better.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the Info Guys, I may UPSIZE my Inverter and that wiring calculator is cool. Ive got a similar one from Bussman....ya they definetly need to be shock mounted almost at least mounted on some neoprene or some sort of bushing which allows good airflow also.

TMFGO45

Seasoned Expediter
Our trucks are 24v systems. So do we need a 24v inverter/charger, or will the 12v options be just fine?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus! (AOKP M6 , Leankernel 3.10.0, 4.0.4 Radios, Inverted Gapps, TWRP 2.2 Recovery)

TMFGO45

Seasoned Expediter
Are you sure your truck isn't a 12volt dual battery switched to 24 to start?

No, I'm not. I have 3 12v batteries. They are wired together from positive to positive. Negative to negative. So what does that give me?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus! (AOKP M6 , Leankernel 3.10.0, 4.0.4 Radios, Inverted Gapps, TWRP 2.2 Recovery)