Potential expediter average income???

kevin W4KVZ

Rookie Expediter
Researching
Hi,
I"m very seriously considering the move from big truck to O/O sprinter van 48 state expediter. I'm trying to establish a starting point or just good idea of the average. I would like to know from experienced national sprinter van expediters monthly, quarterly or annual numbers: pay rate, miles and gross. Please give me at least two of the three. Any help you may be able to share will be greatly appreciated.

boonsdad

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
If you are on the million dollar plan you should start out with at least two

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Xiggi nailed it. Drilling down his numbers further, with the Rule of Thirds being what they are (1/3 each goes to operating expenses, the truck, and to you), you can count on about $25,000 to $30,000 net a year in a cargo van or Sprinter. Much more than that and either you're doing extremely well, or you're skimping on maintenance which will come back to bite you.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If ya going to gross toward the six figures, start researching for a good tax consultant. Ya really want to keep most of that hard earned money:)

Lol, yep start sweating! Once your adjust gross is above $9225 for single and above $18450 for married, you are welcomed to the 54.7% crowds who paid taxes.

:happyhappy:

kevin W4KVZ

Rookie Expediter
Researching
Ok, that"s helpful. I've been driving 18"s for over twenty years now. I think I understand why people succeed on the road and why they don't, at least in a general sense. Who's doing 3k mile perweek at $1.2 per mile or is that based on a split and loads just pay differently?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Some carriers pay percentage , that's when you can average a higher rate but not that high, lol. Most pay flat rate and tend to be in the .70 to .80 range.

One week you might do 3k miles the next 1200, the next 300, then 2400 miles. There is little consistency. Those that average higher miles tend to run on the cheaper end

Just an FYI, many 18 wheel drivers have a tough time adjusting to van life. The sitting for days between loads is a hard adjustment for them to make.

QuickPUD

Active Expediter
Researching
Some carriers pay percentage , that's when you can average a higher rate but not that high, lol. Most pay flat rate and tend to be in the .70 to .80 range.

One week you might do 3k miles the next 1200, the next 300, then 2400 miles. There is little consistency. Those that average higher miles tend to run on the cheaper end

Just an FYI, many 18 wheel drivers have a tough time adjusting to van life. The sitting for days between loads is a hard adjustment for them to make.

I was a solo OTR Hiker (delivering motorhomes, busses and trucks throughout the USA and Canada without a tow car). I used public transportation to get from one load to another by contracting with multiple companies. Health issues have required me to go to a nonCDL license from a CDL B.

I live in the South Bend/Mishawaka/Elkhart, IN area. I want to run solo.

If I make expedited pickups and deliveries within a 300 mile radius of my residence with a Sprinter type vehicle, would that help in keeping the waiting time to a minimum?