portable generator ?

inmotion

Seasoned Expediter
ok we are newbies. so are stuck for the time being.
here is the situation. we are on a 60/40 deal. we pay fuel, tolls,and fuel taxs. we use to drive tractor trailer back in the late 80s early 90s as o/o so we know the mechanics of the industry.
now for the dilemna, we would be doing quite well IF we didnt have to idle so much.
now the problem. the owner of the truck is not going to help by putting an APU on the truck or any other fuel savings device. we have a big sleeper with all the comforts of home that come with the costs of living in a mansion.
now my idea of a simple solution. portable generator or inverter generator. i figure a simple 4 stroke 1800 watt generator with 2 110 outlets and a 12v outlet for charging the batteries will work fine. 1 outlet for the block heater , 1 outlet for a small electric heater for the sleeper in cold weather, and the 12 volt for charging the batteries so we can use the tv, lights,lap top, micro wave and such.
so what we are asking is can we or has anyone else done this ?
how did you set it up?
did you mount it to the truck or just set it out side under the truck when you needed it?
is a 1850 watt generator big enough? the one we are looking at puts out 8.3 amps on the 12 volt side. is that enough to charge the batteries?
and any other info will be greatly apprecited.

denny2010

Expert Expediter
i'll tell you this... i'm not in a truck yet, but camped alot. we have a 30 ft travel trailer with mircowave and fridge/freezer. i bought a 1000 watt honda. not enought for microwave. i would believe you will need at least a 2000- 3000+ watt generator. just because of surge( start up) honda makes some great ones and there nice and quiet. you can stand next to them and talk in normal talking tone. i believe if i had to do it, i would put it in a tool box, side of the truck....need to vent it. maybe while in use chain it to truck some how to keep the honest man honest. but this is just my thought....hope you get the help you need..dennis

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I have a 2200 watt and i am in a cargo van with a 12,000 btu ac unit , tv, micro wave and frig and misc eletrical stuff...I would get at a minimum a 2000 watt eith honda or honeywell...honda makes a real nice 3000 watt unit that has a remote electric start , You can mount it outside behind the cab, run your wiring and start it from inside.. I have seen this setup on several TT units.

Here is a link that you can use for comparing and figuring out what size you need..and they are reasonable on prices and ship really fast:

Electric Generators Direct - Your Portable Generator and Home Standby Generator Superstore - Power Generators, Gas Generators, Home Generators, Backup Generators, Electric Generator, Portable Generators, Power Generator, Gas Generator, Emergency Gene

inmotion

Seasoned Expediter
we are in a straight truck with a 96in sleeper. the only place to put it if mounting on the truck would be to the frame rail some how and again it is not my truck so the owner my not appreciate me mounting a generator to his truck or a box to put it in. i had thought about getting a small side box cutting a hole for exhaust and for the extension cords and cord for 12v wires running to the batteries. but then again i am mounting something to his truck.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Personally if I am willing to pay for the box and generator and mounting it in a way that it could be removed without damage and the owner wouldn't agree to that, I'd be looking for another owner asap.....

Last edited:

inmotion

Seasoned Expediter
chef just read a reply you had in another forum on mounting a generator and how you have no problem with just chaining it to a tire. we have had the same thought. since we only need it for when we are just on layovers and we have the steps to chain it to as well. what do you think? take it out of the side box start it up hook up the batteries plug in the block heater and run a cord in side for a heater if we need it.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
yea chaining it to the truck is the fall back if you don't have to mount it. You need to watch using the generator for the block heater...you need to know the amp and wattage draw of that thing... some of them are high draw and if you don't have a big enough generator to power and the heater for the sleeper, you will be wasting money......it would be an either or but not both and the other needs also if you don't get a big enough unit....there is a thread here on running a block heater off a inverter that Turtle came in and set it straight..and showed how and why it would be a bad idea...and i think their was a mention of using a generator...you might look for that thread..it wasn't that old...

Here you go, found it! I didn't re-read t, to see if the generator use is covered, but I know the needed wattage , amps and voltage is covered pretty good by Turtle:

http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/truck-talk/45840-block-heater-house-batteries.html

Last edited:

inmotion

Seasoned Expediter
thanks i read it and now i will start the home work. the generator i am looking at had a review were a guy plugged in a 800 watt heater and it didnt even slow it down and ran for 9 hours on a gallon of gas and we wouldnt need a heater that big so i need to see how many amps or watts my block heater is or engine heater i think it just heats the oil but i am going to frieghtliner in the morning so i will ask them. need a new fuel cap some one stole one of ours along with about 40 gallons of diesel fuel.

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
Honda 2000EU. Small ,easy to use ,quiet, and will run forever if you change the oil. We used it in our straight truck. It is enough power for heat ,if you want the microwave run the engine 5 minute . $ 900- 1000 new.