Ponder Time-2005 Sprinter

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This is weird. Really Weird.

My A/c is blowing hot air from the drivers vent. At the vent 89 degrees, out side temp is 94.

However, the passenger side blowing 63 with 94 degrees outside.

The top left vent is warmer air flow from the top right vent.

Any A/c pros out there?

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Wait for the pros to answer but its probably just a vacuum switch or vacuum line that opens and closes the doors that determine where the air goes.
I had a Tahoe do that one summer intermittently.
Don't panic yet.
How long are your legs?
Can you drive from the right side? LOL!!

Come on!!!! That was funny!!!!!

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wait for the pros to answer but its probably just a vacuum switch or vacuum line that opens and closes the doors that determine where the air goes.
I had a Tahoe do that one summer intermittently.
Don't panic yet.
How long are your legs?
Can you drive from the right side? LOL!!

Come on!!!! That was funny!!!!!

Some will think it was funny...But, one that is trying to keep cool, well...............ok- lol, there.

The only vacuum line on a Sprinter is for the brake booster. There is a deverter value, but it is either close or open, meaniing , if it was blowing hot air out of all the vents it would be the the value.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You're almost certainly low on freon. When you are, the dash evaporator coil isn't cold across all the coils, and you get warm air to the left, cold air to the right. Warm driver side A/C air is the first indication, usually, of low freon. As out gets lower, you'll hear the compressor cycling on and off more frequently, then the passenger side will become warm, too.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You're almost certainly low on freon. When you are, the dash evaporator coil isn't cold across all the coils, and you get warm air to the left, cold air to the right. Warm driver side A/C air is the first indication, usually, of low freon. As out gets lower, you'll hear the compressor cycling on and off more frequently, then the passenger side will become warm, too.

I thought that as well, so I checked the psi, all looked good. I had it checked for leaks when I had it serviced. They replaced a High pressure switch, pulled a vac on the system, inserted dye, no leaks.

So after reading your reply, I said what the heck.... I added about 1/2 can. Low and behold- it is 92 outside, and all vents are blowing 60 degrees.

In case you didn't know- YOU DA'MAN

Thanks, I'll have to take it back and let them fix it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Same thing happened to me. That's now I know. Pressure looked good, just like yours did, but it took on more freon, anyway.

Those compressors leak over time, and the drier also has a tendency to leak around the fittings on too. A leak at the drier will be an easy one to see if there is dye in the system. A compressor leak, not so much. Those compressors seem to have a 3 or 4 year lifespan for most people.

Last year I ended up replacing the compressor, condenser, drier, AC lines, everything except the evaporator (because I didn't want to have to pull the entire dash to get to it if it didn't actually need replacing).

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I checked the under hood flap that blocks incoming fresh air today and found that it isn't closing. For now I've wedged a small piece of plastic in the spring hinge to keep it closed. Subsequently I discovered the cabin air filter was much dirtier than it should have been, as the recirculation function hasn't been working.