polyurethane on wood floor.

guido4475

Not a Member
Okay, so I Polyurethaned the wood floor using oil-based clear.It stunk, as can be expected.Dad told me use water-based next time.I want to sand the floor down, and redo it, to freshen it up a bit.So my question is this: Will water-based be as durable as oil-based? will it chip, flake, peel, easier than oil based? Can I apply water based on wood that has been previously coated in oil based? Thank you in advance for youre help!

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Guido, from what my carpenter friends tell me the oil based is better for our application... Apply at least two coats and three coats would be better... Make sure each coat is completely dry before applying additional coat...

Sent from my MB300 using EO Forums

sirgregory46

Expert Expediter
I been using the water based and I am real happy with it. No smell last long time. Just get one that is for high traffic floors and you should be good to go.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My 30 years experience in managing paint stores should qualify me to answer your question. It does not! Advances in the industry can make my knowledge obsolete overnight.
Having said that, your best source for information is on the product label itself. If on the label it says Remove all "oil base coatings" then dont proceed. If on the other hand it says "clean and SAND the surface, you are good to go.

guido4475

Not a Member
Thank you for all the help, will most likely recover it in the oil-based than.Turtle, what's youre views on this?

I used Herculiner on the back bumper, applied with a brush.It looks awesome, and is rough.It was $30.00 a quart, and still have half a quart left to do the side door step and stepwell.Going to do the lower door jambs in the spray can type for a somewhat better finish, than paint it to match the body.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
I'm a big fan of the rustoleum spray on bedliner. Have had it on the frame for 5 years now. Just redid it before we went to the EXPO so it would be fresh but bedliner on the frame, steps and off bumper cant be beat. Looks good and lasts along time.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I use Minwax Polycrylic. Benefits of polyurethane plus the hardness of acrylic.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
No, that's the benefit of the polyurethane. It grabs the skid enough, but not too much, and the acrylic allows an even slide when you need it.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We try to keep a clean, shiny floor in our truck. To that end, we almost always use our pallet jack to load and unload the truck and prohibit forklifts from entering the truck. But every once in a while, the freight is such that it must be pushed or dragged across the floor.

TIP: Keep a spray bottle of Orange Glow wood cleaner and polish handy. Use it to lube the floor before sliding skids or other objects across it. The heavy item that needs to be pushed or dragged will still need to be pushed or dragged but it is not as hard on the floor as it would be if pushed or dragged dry.

The product is also good for removing small scratches in the floor.

guido4475

Not a Member
That's the thing I don't understand.I have always used clear gloss, as I like a shiny floor.So easy to keep clean, etc.And What gets me is it never gets slippery.The same goes with side walls in a cargo box.I always painted mine, gloss paint.It made clean up easier, and gave a more professional look to the inside.I used light gray.

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My 30 years experience in managing paint stores should qualify me to answer your question. It does not! Advances in the industry can make my knowledge obsolete overnight.
Having said that, your best source for information is on the product label itself. If on the label it says Remove all "oil base coatings" then dont proceed. If on the other hand it says "clean and SAND the surface, you are good to go.

guido, i'm also like redytrk, i've got over 30 years of off and on house painting behind me, go with the Minwax polycrylic finish or any oil based finish.you will be more satified if you do.
I have tried a lot of different brands and never did like the results.minwax anything is the best.
my father had over 50 years in house painting befor he retired from knee problems.