Pointe Mouillee

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Spent a good bit of time out at Pointe Mouillee setting up for Sat and Sun Festival and Duck Tournament. We got lots done, seem to be ahead of last year, which is good.

LOTS of "bird watchers" out there today, taking pictures of migrating hawks and other raptors. AS per NORMAL NOT ONE of them lifted a finger to help. They just look and DO NOTHING. Many were younger than most of us, would have been nice to have some young hands WORKING for wildlife.

Out again tomorrow to complete the set up then I will be there Sat from 0530 till 1730, same on Sunday. Looking forward to it.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
LOTS of "bird watchers" out there today, taking pictures of migrating hawks and other raptors. AS per NORMAL NOT ONE of them lifted a finger to help. They just look and DO NOTHING.
bird_watching.jpg

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
LOTS of "bird watchers" out there today, taking pictures of migrating hawks and other raptors. AS per NORMAL NOT ONE of them lifted a finger to help. They just look and DO NOTHING. Many were younger than most of us, would have been nice to have some young hands WORKING for wildlife.
Did you welcome them and invite them to participate ?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Perhaps the kind of people who enjoy shooting wildlife with cameras don't care to 'help' people who shoot wildlife with weapons. Just sayin....

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Spent a good bit of time out at Pointe Mouillee setting up for Sat and Sun Festival and Duck Tournament. We got lots done, seem to be ahead of last year, which is good.

Out again tomorrow to complete the set up then I will be there Sat from 0530 till 1730, same on Sunday. Looking forward to it.

I would venture to guess most were of the northern offspring of industrious folk that southerners call Yankees. Now that was easy,,,,lol.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would venture to guess most were of the northern offspring of industrious folk that southerners call Yankees. Now that was easy,,,,lol.

MOST of those who work to restore and maintain the marsh are duck hunters. As with most REAL work on the environment it is those who hunt and fish doing the hands on work.

There is a refreshing new trend this year, there are several women who have joined in. This is very new and very welcomed. It is about a 50/50 mix of women who hunt and women who don't.

Sorry, there are NO professional baseball players from that New York team, or anyone who are decended from them, out there working. No sails, no boats, no fishermen from CT either. No southerners that I know of either. Just Michiganders.

We welcome help! Be out there today anytime at 10AM and pitch in! Pointe Mouillee State Game area is located in Brownstown, MI. The main entrance is at Jefferson and Campau RD.

Festival starts tomorrow at 0800. No fee admission. LOTS to see and do.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Can't make it until Saturday morning. Sorry

OH MAN! Was looking forward to seeing you! :(

Learned so BIG TIME stuff today. MAJOR happenings in the City of Monroe that will have a HUGE impact on the city and the environment. $90 MILLION is going to be used to buy up properties along the River Raisin. The goal is to restore some river bank and restore the walleye runs. HOW COOL IS THAT?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I find it interesting,
You have used this line before and nobody has even givin you a "huh?".

Just saying.

It's silly and it's ignored, OR, it's over many heads, or both. Don't matter, facts be facts. The VAST majority of Michiganders are NOT yankees.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The first day went well at Pointe Mouillee. Got to see a LOT of friends that I don't get to see throughout the year, including our EO friend, Slo-Ride, who came out to spend the day volunteering at the Ducks Unlimited booth. He even brought doughnuts!

Crowds was a bit lower than last year, but the vendors reported that their sales were up.

Today will be tough. Heavy storms came through last night and it is raining now. That will turn the place into a quagmire. Tear down at the close should be fun.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Can't find this forum on my phone so sharing a pic here. This was in Busan Korea today on the China Sea where we're visiting our daughter.
e0a7dd61e9bc08c2e78160db3101be0e.jpg

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Had a good time..Donuts are always a good start to the day. Went looking for a pup but not finding any was a little disappointing so I spent a little more then I wanted to on misc items including a new duck call. I tried to buy the guy blowing on it but that didn't work either. Man could he make it sing. If I can get half of the tones out of it he did it will be a good addition to my lanyard.
We got out of the just I'm time last night before the monsoon hit. Sunshine here at the house and breezy so hopefully it will dry up the grounds fairly fast for ya. I'm on call for DU today in case some can't make it. Enjoy the day out there.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Perhaps the kind of people who enjoy shooting wildlife with cameras don't care to 'help' people who shoot wildlife with weapons. Just sayin....

Your correct bird watchers like their cameras. I really enjoy watching birds every morning also with my first pot of coffee. Every morning of the year I try to do this. If I am at home on my porch or at the Walmart parking lot I like to be there when the birds wake up. Its nothing to do with killing birds. But yes we do enjoy eating them :)
While working this event I visited the DNR field office and ran across something I knew nothing about it and never ran across at any other refuge I have been to. Here to visit the refuge for certain times of the year you must obtain a Access pass from the DNR. The more I talked to this guy the more it sounded like these types of visitors ( non Hunter's bike riders etc etc) have little respect for the grounds and contributed next to nothing to Michigan's natural resources and are actually becoming costly. (Not all but a larger crowd every year.) Now the visitor's pass is free to obtain but you first need to obtain the necessary waterfowl licenses. I agree with this, if you want to enjoy what sportsmen/women have build/restored you should kick in your fair share. Yes you should help.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Your correct bird watchers like their cameras. I really enjoy watching birds every morning also with my first pot of coffee. Every morning of the year I try to do this. If I am at home on my porch or at the Walmart parking lot I like to be there when the birds wake up. Its nothing to do with killing birds. But yes we do enjoy eating them :)
While working this event I visited the DNR field office and ran across something I knew nothing about it and never ran across at any other refuge I have been to. Here to visit the refuge for certain times of the year you must obtain a Access pass from the DNR. The more I talked to this guy the more it sounded like these types of visitors ( non Hunter's bike riders etc etc) have little respect for the grounds and contributed next to nothing to Michigan's natural resources and are actually becoming costly. (Not all but a larger crowd every year.) Now the visitor's pass is free to obtain but you first need to obtain the necessary waterfowl licenses. I agree with this, if you want to enjoy what sportsmen/women have build/restored you should kick in your fair share. Yes you should help.

You are correct. Most non-hunters/anti-hunters, do NOTHING for the environment/habitat, and many do harm. They have NO problem destroying things, but when it comes time to DO something of VALUE, they are not interested. They CLAIM they want the habitat that draws, and holds, the raptors to this area, but, for the most part, do NOTHING to protect and maintain that habitat

Generally speaking, the majority of the "public" are ignorant when it comes to wildlife and habitat issues. It is not often discussed in schools and if it is discussed, it is often taught incorrectly and with a bias that does not reflect any kind of real science.

Everyone TAKES from the environment, few give back.

Non-hunters do little. Anti-hunters, and their organizations, cause great harm to modern, science based, wildlife and habitat management. They play on emotion to do what they set out to do, make money for themselves. Groups like PETA and the Humane society of the United States, cause a LOT of damage with their bogus claims and law suits, which cause millions of dollars that COULD be used to improve habitat, and the environment, to be wasted fighting the stupidity.

It is a real shame that reality is not taught in schools. It is also a shame that the general public does not pay it's share of what it takes to insure that places like Pointe Mouillee are always there.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The second day of the Festival was a wash out. The storms the night before cause a lot of damage to the area. Boats were blown around like tinker toys. The are tent was badly damaged and some are work was damaged as well. Sunday's "river events" had to be cancelled due to damage to the equipment used to put them on. Boats were over turned and one of the traps was thrown into the water.

Luckily, no one was injured. The real shame is the loss of revenue. Much was lost that would have gone into the marsh. It is a shame.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Funny how a few miles makes a difference in weather. Yesterday we had the rain in and out during the afternoon but the winds kicked in late Sunday afternoon.
That art tent was in trouble Saturday afternoon and some vendors where talking about when me and the wife walked thru it. That is one huge tent and short of taking it down I'm not sure anything could have been done about it. Also seen one vendor lose 2 of his canopy's Saturday afternoon before the event closed. That's when we knew there maybe trouble overnight.
Just as we where getting back in town Saturday night we got hit real hard and I knew that place was going to be a mess come Sunday morning.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The storms hit around 1945 on Sat evening. I talked to people who were out there, to a man, they were scared. It was straight line winds, not sure of how fast, and heavy rain.

One boat was pushed across the parking lot so hard it punched a large hole into one of Knutson's trucks. Another boat was pushed across the lot and that one knocked over Gander Mountains tent. Yet another boat, a 14' G3, was picked up and thrown about 50' and was badly damaged. Decoy Rigs tents were blown away, half way across the lot. Needless to say, anyone who left up those pop up shelters, lost them.

The shelter where I work, up at the gate, was spared. The wind was up out of the SW and those trees across the road blocked the wind.

The biggest loss was in dollars. We will have little to put into the marsh this year.

Last edited: