plywood floor.. screws or bolts

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When attaching the plywood floor would it be wise to put a bead of adhesive along each raised rail/segment/rib/whatever the plywood lays on? Along with that is it better to use screws or nuts/bolts? How many in total? Where do you put them on the sheet?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't know if it'd be wise to put a bead of adhesive down. It wouldn't necessarily be unwise, tho. Mainly, it won't matter one way or the other, until it comes to time to remove the decking, should you ever decide to do that. Adhesive just adds one more thing you gotta deal with, before and after. The screws will hold the plywood deck down just fine without the adhesive, and if for some reason the screws don't hold because of a moron forklift operator, adhesive won't help.

As for how many, see the other thread.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When attaching the plywood floor would it be wise to put a bead of adhesive along each raised rail/segment/rib/whatever the plywood lays on? Along with that is it better to use screws or nuts/bolts? How many in total? Where do you put them on the sheet?

My floor no screws or bolts two rows of e-track spot welded to the floor and wood surrounding it held in place with liquid nails no problems in 6 years

guido4475

Not a Member
I did the self-tapper method screwed into the cross-members on the body underneath.No movement yet.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My floor no screws or bolts two rows of e-track spot welded to the floor and wood surrounding it held in place with liquid nails no problems in 6 years

I see several different liquid nails products. Which one did you use?

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
I would only use liquid nails if I never intended to remove the plywood. As one of our members said "don't complicate the simple."

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't intend to ever remove the plywood, I can't remember what we used other than it was a commercial grade adhesvie, its tan in color if that helps

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
use a screw with as many threads per inch you can get. compare the self tapper to a deck screw. double the threads. you want them to have a good bite. i tried a regular self tap and the boards will bounce up. bassically they will not let the floor move but not tightened down. the alloc does the job there along with the cargo walls.