Please Explain

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
OK, this one makes NO SENSE to me at all. I cannot come up with a valid reason. Maybe someone in here can.

We have been sitting here in Denver, CO since Tuesday. Twice we were offered a load that picked up in Albuquerque, NM. Twice we turned it down. It would have been a good load had we been there but the DH killed it.

I was just speaking with another FDCC driver who had been in Albuquerque, NM for 4 days. They are a TVAL truck, same as us. All qualifications. The run had NO special anything. They were there and NEVER offered that load!!

It is REALLY getting goofy.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Why give the load to a truck nearby when you can deadhead one 500 or more miles?
That's the DVA workings it's magic.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Why give the load to a truck nearby when you can deadhead one 500 or more miles?
That's the DVA workings it's magic.

I think that just maybe some things really need looked at. Too many problems of late. It will soon start to cost FDCC business if it has not already.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
OK, this one makes NO SENSE to me at all. I cannot come up with a valid reason. Maybe someone in here can.

We have been sitting here in Denver, CO since Tuesday. Twice we were offered a load that picked up in Albuquerque, NM. Twice we turned it down. It would have been a good load had we been there but the DH killed it.

I was just speaking with another FDCC driver who had been in Albuquerque, NM for 4 days. They are a TVAL truck, same as us. All qualifications. The run had NO special anything. They were there and NEVER offered that load!!

It is REALLY getting goofy.

This is just a guess but one that would explain things if true. WG trucks have a number of flags that make them eligible for various types of loads. It may be that the Albuquerque truck thinks it has the same flags as you but does not. It sometimes happens that a flag gets changed, mistakenly turned off, or mysteriously disappears for no good reason. It is in every driver's best interests to check your flags to make sure you actually have the flags you think you have.

It does not happen often but it does happen. It has only happened to Diane and me once. In the days before TVAL our reefer went down. We called it in and they removed the reefer flag. We got the reefer fixed and notified dispatch. Time then passed without a reefer load offer. The flag should have been turned on but was not. Since then we have been careful to check our flags.

Once a team we had not met before sat next to us and we chatted through the cab windows. They complained about not getting reefer freight. They were new. We told them to check their reefer flag and, sure enough, that was the problem. They saw reefer offers after that.

You can send in a C-Link code "61" for a quick check. I think there may be a way to check your flags on the Extranet too. There are a couple flags not listed there and you will have to call in to verify those.

Again, just a guess in answer to your question but it is wise for all drivers to check their flags just the same.

MYGIA

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
You can send in a C-Link code "61" for a quick check. I think there may be a way to check your flags on the Extranet too. There are a couple flags not listed there and you will have to call in to verify those.
QUOTE]

Interesting. Never heard of that code before. Thanks.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It was only a "WG" load. No Reefer, no security, no nuthin. They had just finished an art load a week prior. Don't know what happened. All I know is that I got the offer in Denver and they did NOT in NM. They ran a security load in Denver on Monday that canceled on us Friday. Who knows?

golftruck

Seasoned Expediter
Is it possible that they had a lock of some sort on their truck that they were not aware of(ETA lock....these don't show up on C-Link)? Any truck that can make the pick up is eligible for the load under the NDS, not just the closest trucks. Or it is possible that someone simply screwed up.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Is it possible that they had a lock of some sort on their truck that they were not aware of(ETA lock....these don't show up on C-Link)? Any truck that can make the pick up is eligible for the load under the NDS, not just the closest trucks. Or it is possible that someone simply screwed up.

I have no idea what happened. I talked with FDCC about it but without the run number there was nothing they could do. Too bad. I had no reason to right down that load number but I wish I had just to have it looked at.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Is it possible that they had a lock of some sort on their truck that they were not aware of(ETA lock....these don't show up on C-Link)? Any truck that can make the pick up is eligible for the load under the NDS, not just the closest trucks.

This is true, except when it isn't. Your comment brings to mind several times when were passed over without believable explanation when everything we understand about the system says we should have gotten the load.

It happens most often when we have less than 75 status, have a full weekend to get to the pick up, and see another truck closer in get the load. Based on our experience, it is simply not true that "Any truck that can make the pick up is eligible for the load...." It might happen some of the time but it does not happen consistently enough to be accepted by us as true.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This is true, except when it isn't. Your comment brings to mind several times when were passed over without believable explanation when everything we understand about the system says we should have gotten the load.

It happens most often when we have less than 75 status, have a full weekend to get to the pick up, and see another truck closer in get the load. Based on our experience, it is simply not true that "Any truck that can make the pick up is eligible for the load...." It might happen some of the time but it does not happen consistently enough to be accepted by us as true.

Strange things do happen to say the least. We too have been "passed over" for loads that according to the "system" we should have be put on them.

One in particular comes to mind. We had a less than 75 and was about 25 miles from the pick up. The load was for a Monday and the dispatch was on Friday. They gave it to another truck that was 18 miles closer with no less than 75. I can see where being 25 miles out and only 2 days to cover that distance would be a problem. :rolleyes:

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Somtimes take a look in the Notes somtimes it says a certain truck cant do that load. issues ect.
Be nice to the customers no matter what.

PlusServices

Seasoned Expediter
Your best bet would have been to eat the DH miles and move to a better express center, or take a low paying load to a better EC. You should be using the VRU to get EC counts and activity for the EC's in your area. That will give you an idea of the loads coming out of your EC. It is always beter to keep the wheels rolling. My trucks never sit anywhere for more than 24 hours.