Planning to buy a 04-06 dodge sprinter to do some work on the side

Eminaga

Rookie Expediter
Hello everyone,

Here is my situation, I have a great and easy job that pays pretty good just sitting around and talking to customers most of the time thats m-f from 10:30am-7pm but there is talk of layoffs again for the 4th time in the last two years and I am probably next on the list so my future at the company is not looking too good. I was planning to buy a sprinter van and do 2-3 loads per month over the weekend. I plan to work for my friends company as long as I still keep my regular job. If I lose my job in the future my plan was to open my own company and work full time and slowly add vans to the stable. My question is simple; do you guys think I should even bother buying a van at this time? My budget is 5-8k which I know I can get 04-06 model depending in milage. I also heard these years are the most reliable. would it even be worth investing in the van if I cant drive too much while having another full time job? The more I research this the less I feel like I can make any profit. My friend has his sprinter van and does it on the side once a week and seems to get paid 600-1000 on average per load when driving within 500-750 miles radius and is always home the same day. Kinda feels like quick easy money but I know there is more to it. I also feel like this would give me experience for down the road once I actually start working it full time in my own company. I dont know maybe I am dreaming too much here. You guys have the experience so tell me please

paulnstef39

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
500 - 750 mile radius and home every day, means driving 1000-1500 miles per day. The math doesn't work unless he is expediting in a NASCAR Car. Just my initial thought. :wtf:

Reactions: ntimevan

Eminaga

Rookie Expediter
500 - 750 mile radius and home every day, means driving 1000-1500 miles per day. The math doesn't work unless he is expediting in a NASCAR Car. Just my initial thought. :wtf:
Lol ur right. I am sorry what i meant was he drives 500-750 miles both ways. (There and back)