Picking a vehicle type

JosselinRolling

New Recruit
Researching
I have a question about picking a van vs. a straight truck vs. tractor. Seems like tractors would be best for load availability and lifestyle at least for OTR. Being OTR in a sprinter has to be rough. Why go that route? With no logs, seems like you're getting no protection against being run ragged. That wouldn't be so bad if the money was better, but it seems to be a bit worse. Am I missing something? Im looking at doing something East coast home more often than OTR would typically allow for. That initially had me thinking Sprinter, but Im seeing a whole lot of OTR guys making under like 85cpm and having no real berth or the comforts that a sleeper would have like apu/inverter air conditioning, entertainment, fridge and microwave. Not even really room for clothes? So why? I know people dont really like elogs, but Ive seen so many posts about cargo van guys saying they sleep like 4 hours a night, but at those rates? I think youd make more money taking pretty much any minimum wage job.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Expediting is a lifestyle, not a job. If you just want to make money you find somewhere now paying over $12 an hour and go to work every day. I started in a T/T, for about 6 months. Don't know what they pay now but in 2004 I think it was around 40cpm. I had to run whatever they said and made about $1k a week minus a few deductions. Then I bought my own S/T and started expediting. I made $1.35 plus FSC, so my cut was about 45cpm BUT I decided what loads to run, where to stop, etc etc. Then I put a h/w team in the truck and got a 1 ton Chev van. I got about $1.10 plus FSC.

I had my van set up by Sportsmobile in Austin. Onan Quiet 2.8 mounted in the spare tire well under the van, Coleman 13.5k BTU roof air, 4.x cu ft fridge, microwave, FantasticFan positioned directly above my head when sleeping, screened jalousie window across from the sliding door. I could have serious ventilation going without opening any windows that allowed bugs inside. I slept 6-7 hours most of the time, the most I can sleep in a stretch.

If I were doing it again I'd go with the longest, tallest Transit so I could stand up straight to put my pants on and take 3 skids if I wanted to. If I were a quarter century younger I probably would.

Reactions: danthewolf00

EllyDove

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I want the Travel, there are a bunch of places I want to see. I figure it would be easier without a trailer, or D.O.T. Restrictions.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Tractors obviously have more to choose from

At this point I'm having difficulty with $2 a mile in an E250

You guys that are looking should probably take a job; tractor or sprinter van; and let the economy tell you which way it's going

Or, do what you want (you will anyway) and provide me a nice used vehicle to buy 10 years from now

I'm not kidding, business is down nearly 50% since last year (in a van) and there is no "publicly advertised" per mile freight that I would consider taking with even an 11 year old van

I do have a sprinter. It's parked, uninsured - hasn't been a single call for it since Dec 2022

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I want the Travel, there are a bunch of places I want to see. I figure it would be easier without a trailer, or D.O.T. Restrictions.
You will get to see them. Sometimes. If you are on a daylight run not the more common overnight. If they are near the highway from point A to point B. If you remember to look over at the right time. That said, yes, at times you get to travel near places you would like to see. If you have the best of luck you are pre-scheduled for a pickup in 24 hours or so and can take a few hours to see what you want. Or you've run fairly well and can go OOS for a day. And other times you'll pass through really pretty country, when you can see it.

Reactions: EllyDove

EllyDove

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
You will get to see them. Sometimes. If you are on a daylight run not the more common overnight. If they are near the highway from point A to point B. If you remember to look over at the right time. That said, yes, at times you get to travel near places you would like to see. If you have the best of luck you are pre-scheduled for a pickup in 24 hours or so and can take a few hours to see what you want. Or you've run fairly well and can go OOS for a day. And other times you'll pass through really pretty country, when you can see it.
proximity is what I'm looking for I'm willing to take days off or afternoons or whatever to see certain things. Roller coasters, bbq joints, museums events festivals. Getting paid to be in proximity just makes it sweeter, it would be easier to park a van then a truck with a trailer. it would be easier to leave an empty van somewhere, then it would be to leave a big rig with a trailer. ive heard there is allot of eh interesting flora and fuana at these truck stops, but I'm not interested in learning about them.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
proximity is what I'm looking for I'm willing to take days off or afternoons or whatever to see certain things. Roller coasters, bbq joints, museums events festivals. Getting paid to be in proximity just makes it sweeter, it would be easier to park a van then a truck with a trailer. it would be easier to leave an empty van somewhere, then it would be to leave a big rig with a trailer. ive heard there is allot of eh interesting flora and fuana at these truck stops, but I'm not interested in learning about them.
The nice thing about a van over the big trucks is you can pack up and leave....
If you do wind up going over the road get a planet fitness black card membership so you can get a shower any time and also get a work out.
You might also want to get the cheapest Costco and Sam's club membership for cheaper fuel. Most Costco sell diesel fuel to.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It does help in the van. I always got to eat at Mike Linnig's when I was near Louisville and Minard's Spaghetti Inn in Clarksburg, WV. I could DH without feeling quite so bad at 19mpg on gasoline, cheaper than diesel. And when the company paid the FSC based on 15mpg and diesel price it covered most of my fuel. There are worse ways to travel the U.S. and Canada.