Pets

cj

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Just curious...How many of you travel with your "li'l buddies"? Any problems? How do they "entertain" themselves. Behavior?
I won't go anywhere without my BABY. She's an 18 lb. Cocker. I restrain her in the front seat while at the customer's door. Stop at the rest areas to do her duty and excercise and never been late on time because of it. Occassionally she gets a fast food burger but always has her nutricious kibble and fresh water. She doesn't know she's a dog. T/S are no problems and when needed the A/C and heat are left on for her while I am inside. I always travel with vaccination proof and complete ID (just in case, God forbid, she gets loose). She's not a biter - she's a kisser.
Share your experiences, please.

Randy

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I'm new to expedite but I ran with my pit bull/chow mongrel. No one bothers the truck. 10-4. : O

G

Which companies (semi or expedited) allow pets? We have a very gentle, very old White German Shepherd.

cj

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
As far as I know the main expediters allow pets. I've seen pets with almost every company at some time or other. Besides WE own the truck what I carry is my business and have never had any corporate question it.
Old dogs need lots of love -- Go for it.

G

PANTHER says no pets, repeat no pets, but I have seen Panther
drivers with them.

G

Went we went full time OTR last winter the one and only thing I thought would make my truck feel more like a home was a dog. My husband finally gave in and XMas, to my surprise we were the proud onwers of a 3mo Min Pin puppy. Her first trip was Jan 2 in the snow, and since she has loved seeing the country as much as we do. We have just started to get familiar with the expediting business, and before we talked to the recruiters about hometime, they had to say yes to our pup. The amazing things people will do for animals huh?

cj

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Glad to hear it--they are so much company for you and it's a really good excuse to get out and exercise between runs. LOL

fred

Expert Expediter
I have walked up to trucks and been gagged by the stench coming from inside. i have seen people emerge from sleepers with dog and cat hair all over their clothing and i did not care to go in and set down to a meal with them-even though they were very nice people and we drove for the same company--sorry-animals do not belong in trucks where people sleep--i have been in expediting for 14 years and if I owned a trucking co. (which I do not) I would not allow animals in trucks--we drivers are an extention of the company we work for and the only people our shippers see. If I were a shipper I would not even put my freight in a cargo van full of dog hair--we haul food grade freight at times--think about it--Fred

cj

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
In 4 years of expediting the closest thing I have hauled to food grade is labels for Friskies cat food. Yes, pets shed but if brushed daily and sticky rollers are used on clothing you should have no problems. There is and never has been and never will be a "stench" in my truck. Our dog knows what the outdoors is for and her food is kept airtight, etc. Our customers make conversation and cutsie comments about our pet. Good PR. To each his own I guess, but I figure it's MY TRUCK I will carry what I want.

G

Boy, Fred that was a pretty bold statement. I am a neat fanatic, when I m on the road my truck IS my house, and my house is always clean. I also do not enjoy dogs that shed, personal preference, so I made sure that I got a very low maintenance animal. When we stop for the occasional night in the hotel room the dog gets a bath, and there have even been occassions when she has tred through diesel or oil that the t/s even let me shower her. The comment that the manager made to me was "She's ALOT cleaner than some of the two legged animals we have seen in here." As for where we sleep, my dog sleeps in our bed at home, and it wouldnt be any different on the road.

G

Just wondering has anyone seen the famous monkey people? Hey, you've got to be serious animal lovers to haul that thing around!

THE X

cj

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My husband met them-they are with LEA, home is outside Indy. I met the Mr. and seems nice and was very clean. I'm sure their monkeys are just like other people's kids as far as love and care go. They drive a super B so their babies would be in the cab away from customers. Everyone has their own choice of pets and whatever works for them--GO FOR IT--as long as not vicious. I, personally, would never have any reptile as a pet. Gives me the willies. Cats are fine for other people but not for me. I love affectionate pets and every cat I've seen is too aloof for me. No offense cat lovers. I guess my long winded point is...your pet can be as clean or as dirty as YOU allow it to be just like your home (truck) can be.

fred

Expert Expediter
The monkey people have names-John & Mary Jo Parsons out of Shelbyville,In. She told me when the monkey got mad at her-like if she went in someplace and neglected it for a while-it would poop in its hand and throw it at her or anyone else who happened to be lucky enough to be around when this act of love took place. I was not privelaged to witness the act but just hearing about it was a real pleasure. Rumor is that monkey died and they got another one. We can only hope it is as well trained as the last one--I would hate to think she is missing out on her daily poop bath. FRED

G

did you know you may write off your pet on the road
as securty device , covers food, and medical for pet