Pete 330

Bornfree

Expert Expediter
I found a nice Pete 330 at a local dealer.All set up for expediting.It is a 2000 model with 49k miles,3126 cat 250hp,9speed fuller,70" sleeper,22' box with dolly legs,mint condition.Price?$50k and plenty of warranty left.I don't know much about it.It had one owner that bought it new.Do you have any information on this particular model?Engine,tranny,frame etc...What are the PROs and CONs?
Thank you!;-)

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You will probably get alot of feed back about this, so let me add my 2 cents now. I feel this is a great truck, but is priced much to high, and the box is small. $35k or $40k tops would be about all I'd pay.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Tony has the price right on.50K is high for that truck.Watch out for the Cat Engine,many problems seem to be reported when mileage starts to get up there..

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Since I am an expediter I don't have two cents, but opnions are free :+

Sounds good to me with the exception of that Cat engine. I have been in two trucks that were powered by them and I feel that the job of a boat anchor is too good for them. They are under powered, expensive to fix. I also agree that it in todays marketplace it is over priced.

That Pete is a great truck. I looked at it at the expediters expo. Everything is laid out the way I would want it. I would suggest talk to Allstate Peterbuilt in New Philadelhia, OH. they supplied the Pete for the expo and seemed like a great bunch of guys.

Bornfree

Expert Expediter
I don't think the guy will go lower than $45K but I will try.So,you are saying that I'll be OK up to 500K miles with a good,on time service?Thanks everybody.Please see my other post about the Sterling truck.Any info. on it?:)

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Weave - where are you? This boy needs some serious counseling.

Bornfree: You are not listening. The truck is overpriced in todays market and BECAUSE of the Cat engine. If you stay away from the mountains and keep your loads light, then you have a good chance of avoiding major engine repairs before 500M miles (but I doubt it). The engine is undersized for expediting - that's the final word.

Now, if you want to go ahead and buy this truck, just remember to set about $12,000 - $14,000 aside before you get to 300 to 350,000 miles. You may very well need it for engine replacement (they do not rebuild this engine!!!). If you are lucky, you will only need new injectors and cam the first time in.

Good luck and pay attention to what those experienced drivers are trying to tell you.

Larry

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The Pete 330 is a great truck, but not with the CAT 3126. The 330 and KW T300 could be optioned like Freightliners with either the 3126 or Cummins ISC. Like a Freightliner (if you wanted one) find one with the ISC, it is a much safer investment than a CAT 3126 equipped truck for not much more cost. I think in a new FL70 the ISC is a $1700 option over the 3126, well worth that. Shouldn't cost much more on the used market in a Pete or KW.
A couple of weeks ago a fellow from Canada with a new FL80 ran following me with part of my load that wouldn't fit on my truck. His FL80 had a CAT 3126 rated 230 HP. The Cummins in my old '95 FL70 with 600k+ miles is also rated 230 HP. I had the heavier part of the load on my truck and his FL80 could not keep up with me going up hills. So it seems that not only does the 3126 not last too long, it can't get out of its own way either. On top of that, the 3216's HEUI oil powered fuel injection system demands super clean oil at all times. Repairs cost a fortune and once its worn it's usually so worn as to not be worth rebuilding. I wouldn't waste any money or time on a 3126 equipped truck.
-Weave-

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My 2 cents.... I have a fl70 with a 250 cat 3126B. Not enough horsepower for climbing hills, and expensive to work on. Not to mention that it is NOT wet sleaved meaning cannot be in frame overhaul which means big bucks to replace. I saw an add from I love chrome in this forum selling his FL106 for about the same price. Check it out as that baby is about as good as it gets. Definately a million mile motor, auto transmission and about the same price as the pete your looking at. Also a big sleeper. Hope you find a good company to work for with lots of miles because your going to need the money to pay for it all. I myself am concidering folding up and giving the truck back to the bank. Not enough money out there to make a decent living or pay the bills. With taking to fedex, panther drivers this weekend while stuck in tennesse, they were packing it in themselves. Unless your going to team it, don't jump on any of the expeditors as a single driver. You will wither fast.
Good luck
Randy:D

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
I am not 100% sure but I think the 330 is a lot like the 300 Kenworth. It is a class 7 truck but you can spec it with a class 8 drivetrain. I believe the one at the expo had a 300 hp Cummins and a 9 speed.

The fellas at allstate also mentioned that if you are the "Wannabe Rooster cruiser" you can get the big truck looking Pete 357 set up for expediting.