perplexed over team vs. solo

halfwaythere

Seasoned Expediter
If your a female new to this industry...driving alone is creepy
If you don't already have a reliable partner selected...utilizing expedite to shop is creepy.
Men are just as skeptical about teaming up with a new female as a lady would be. Everybody is looking for a guarantee...no drama... b/c as a team both are on the line if one defaults the other suffers. I am even more confused than when I started. I thought all I was going to do is attend the EXPO. The reality for me is to learn to enjoy being by myself and then maybe after I have some experience I can become part of a team out of Alabama. Nobody has it made out there and there are advantages to team and solo really does not interest me. I have two years to sort it out.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I think many will agree teaming is best for husband and wife teams . Trying to have two individuals with separate households , different families and locations involved in down time , etc . doesn't usually work . From what I hear in all the trucking industry teams are now only getting weekly miles that were considered good miles for a solo a year or two ago .

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
if your already working as an expedite,you already know that solos suffer from lack of work,if your thinking of getting in this industry,solos suffer from lack of work.Sorry to repeat myself but it is true.Now if your going or are in a tractor,this statement isnt quite as bad,as some of the companies do other freight besides expedite.
As you may already know,expedite freight delivers non stop,99% of the time,and most of the expedite companies cater to the team trucks.
Yes,teaming can be a difficult process.Finding two people that 1st get along,are from the same area,and have the same goals,can be a process.It doesn't matter if it's same sex partners or male female,yoou have to be able to get along.The truck is a small box,and your together for long periods of time.Best of friends can hate each other,even husband wife teams sometimes have problems.
I wont bring up the sexual issue that can happen,and I know of instances that this has happened,not wit any expedite people,but a lady friend of mine had trouble a couple of times just going to the ladies room in a service plaza.Shes not the type that would be asking for trouble,she thought she could take care of herself.
Good luck to you,what we do is fun,its not like regular freight,the customer actually needs us
Alabama isn't a good area for a solo expediter,but can keep you busy as a team.

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
i drive solo....... i do .. ok.... of course some weeks are beter then others....
but i do OK ..... its all what u make of it.
know where the good spots are and not..... take the short /mini loads..... they add up in a weeks time..
i been with panther 5 yrs now....

there's a lot out there now a days with NO job.. people getting layed off everywhere....... this is a job im not always happy with.. but it is a job for now. and i plan on sticking with for a while longer.

im single... dating and looking .. even have a profile in a couple personal web sites....... lol .. soo teaming could be a option for me.. if the right mate comes along. heh

Last edited:

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
we are a h\w team been married 29yrs.we love this life style\job,but miles are like being solo driver with benefits.Yes i do let the wife drive some.I couldn't imagine doing this with someone other than my spouse,especially since we like to stay out 6-8 weeks at a time.

Dabus1952

Seasoned Expediter
morning star where do I sign up .Lol Lol Its good to see your feeling a little better today. As I read your post about truck being not ready for you near Gary Ind.Hope you have a great week.

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
morning star where do I sign up .Lol Lol Its good to see your feeling a little better today. As I read your post about truck being not ready for you near Gary Ind.Hope you have a great week.

tanx.... heh.....
well where do u sign up???? hmmmm ....... are u of the female gender???
ya know.... u may want to click the myspace link in my siggie line here........
i dont try to hide who i am .. and my preference on things .... but i dont go flaunting it either. and will answer any ?? best I can.

termite289

Expert Expediter
My wife worries every day about the phone call. the one that says i have died in a crash, died in my sleep, that i am not coming home. I do not wish to add to her stress about this stupid truck, which is consuming more than it is producing at the moment. I have no intention is raising her stress level, by adding the worry of adultery, and as soon as she tells anyone that her husband has a female team mate, that is what they are going to ask her.