Per Mile or Split Pay?

Stxredneck

Active Expediter
Driver
Looking to getting into a straight truck. I'm seeing most job postings offering 60/40 split. This last guy that emailed me pays .30-.40 cents per mile depending on ecperience. I'm sure that is split between drivers so best case is .20 cents per mile. Owner pays for everything and says drivers get 5000-6000 miles each week because he is signed up with multiple companies. Could be sugar coating it who knows.
Best case I'm looking at $1200 a week at 6000 miles at 20 cents.

Don't know if this is a good deal or not

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Being signed on with multiple companies doesn't mean anything in the expedite world.

acvox24

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
No way a solo can do 6000 miles a week. A team can do it. But that's pretty much keeping the truck rolling 24/7. Don't sound like conservative numbers to me

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Team is the only way but in this day and economy movin 24-7 in next to not realistic! 6000 miles split by team is only 600 per week and that's a long hard week

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
if you decide to drive for a owner, make sure everything is in writing and what are your duties , and what are his
make sure about down time, things come up that need to be taken care of make sure that is spell out to
have a lawyer look over the contract, or give it ooida, look it over and become member to, they will help you better under stand things
making money is great , but most important thing is your heath , you have to take me time have that in contract

check with other who may have worked for that owner
when you take over the unit take pictures of everything, inside and out, and when you turn it in take pictures again
so if something comes up you did that, you can show picture and say not on my watch