Per diem rates

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
SORRY ALL NO NOTIFICATION ABOUT ANY NEW PER DIEM RATES, THEN SO FAR, THEY WILL STAY THE SAME $59.00 PER DAY SUBJECT TO 80% AS THE ACTUAL DEDUCTION. EXAMPLE: If you logged or proved your days out as follows. 300 Days X $59.00 = $17,700.00 at 80% is $ 14,160. is the actual deductions on line 24b of your Schedule "C" [h=1]Franklin Katz, RTRP, ATP, PA, PB[/h][h=1]Frank's Tax & Business Service[/h][h=1]315 E. King St.[/h][h=1]Kings Mountain, NC 28086[/h][h=1]Local # 704-739-4039 Toll Free# 877-857-1040[/h][h=1]E-Mail: [email protected])[/h][h=1]Web: Filing Services[/h]CONFIDENTIALITYNOTE:
This email and any attachments are confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or
use of this email or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received
this email in error, please notify me immediately by returning it to the
sender and delete this copy from your system. Thank you for your
cooperation.

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
SORRY ALL NO NOTIFICATION ABOUT ANY NEW PER DIEM RATES, THEN SO FAR, THEY WILL STAY THE SAME $59.00 PER DAY SUBJECT TO 80% AS THE ACTUAL DEDUCTION. EXAMPLE: If you logged or proved your days out as follows. 300 Days X $59.00 = $17,700.00 at 80% is $ 14,160. is the actual deductions on line 24b of your Schedule "C" Franklin Katz, RTRP, ATP, PA, PB

Frank's Tax & Business Service

315 E. King St.

Kings Mountain, NC28086

Local # 704-739-4039 Toll Free# 877-857-1040

E-Mail: [email protected])

Web: Filing Services

CONFIDENTIALITYNOTE:
This email and any attachments are confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or
use of this email or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received
this email in error, please notify me immediately by returning it to the
sender and delete this copy from your system. Thank you for your
cooperation.

Is my interpretation correct?

A driver leaves out on Monday evening and returns home Friday morning. He's out for 3 full days and 2 partial days. Does he get to claim 5 days per diem?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Is my interpretation correct?

A driver leaves out on Monday evening and returns home Friday morning. He's out for 3 full days and 2 partial days. Does he get to claim 5 days per diem?

It is broken down by quarter if a day. So if the driver left at 4am Monday and came back at 8pm Friday he would get 5 days. If they left at 7am Monday and got back at 8pm Friday then it is 4 3/4.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
hi all, He is the way the IRS sees the per diem! If you leave your truck anywhere, truckstop, Wal-mart parking lot, or any other location and you go home from there and return to pick up your truck, you can not take the Per Diem from the house. It is the actual time once you finished putting in your personal belongings, and Start logging Truck Inspection in you logs then you are considered away from home and your per diem starts. its the same when you get to the home location and park your truck, not before. then it ends. So IF you left out at 6:30 AM on Monday, and returned home at 8 PM it is considered 3/4 day for Monday, and 3/4 day for Friday, which is 1 1/2 days plus 3 full days, total for week would be 4 1/2 days. [h=1]Franklin Katz, RTRP, ATP, PA, PB[/h][h=1]Frank's Tax & Business Service[/h][h=1]315 E. King St.[/h][h=1]Kings Mountain, NC 28086[/h][h=1]Local # 704-739-4039 Toll Free# 877-857-1040[/h][h=1]E-Mail: [email protected])[/h][h=1]Web: Filing Services[/h][h=1] [/h][h=1]IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless expressly stated otherwise inthis
transmission, any tax advice contained herein, forwarded with or attached to
this message was not and is not intended to be used, nor may it be relied
upon or used, by any taxpayer for the purpose of (1) the avoidance of any
tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or
local tax law provisions, or (2) promoting, marketing or recommending to
another party any tax transaction or tax-related matters that may be
addressed herein.

[/h][h=1] [/h]

paullud

Veteran Expediter

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I fixed the link. Thanks paullud.

If you look at page 6 at the top right corner under "Travel for days you depart and return" it says you must prorate those days and using method 1 you can just claim 3/4 of the day. It gets less clear though with the example they use under method 2 which leaves the proration method up to the tax payer. I'm just going to use the 3/4 day under method 1 from now on which gives me a better tax advantage and makes counting the days easier.

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
Well paullud, I guess the tax guy isn't checking in today. Sorry if I seem to be ignoring your posts, it's not like that. I'm just trying to keep my question to the tax expert guy focused on a single scenario without answering the question for him. Looking to avoid ambiguity is all.

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
hi all, I don't check in everyday, but the way the IRS publication states is for traveling Salesman, and other types of business transportation using publication 1542 for the per diem rates in specific area's In that publication it gives you a breakdown of the cities and county's, and each is different depending on either all year, or specific dates and also depends on the location you go to. Those per Diem rates are not the same as the Transportation industry they are less and would include the hotel and meals. The Transportation industry is a Flat Rate and is a reimbursement deduction for food only and is subject to 80 % of the total, where as the other is only 50% of the total including the airfare, mileage, hotels and food. For instance, Atlanta, GA is all year $ 133.00 per day for Lodging, and $56.00 per day for Meals. or $66.50 plus $28.00 for Meals as a deduction, but it is entered as 1 figure on the 2106/Sch C Depending on weather your an employee or Self employed as a construction worker, salesmen, or other type of traveler. most of this type of deduction is for the average person who only might be on the road under 6 months. and the standard rate for anywhere not city or county specified is $83.00 hotel- and $46.00 or $41.50 and 23.00 meals. Whereas you are out anywhere from 160 to 300 days a year. and are subject to the special rate of $59.00 per day no matter where you are. Naturally the deduction would be 80% of the total, you can also take the full amount for any hotels you stay in while on the road. when the truck is in the shop or laid over for a weekend. Your Entertainment is also deductible Sirus, Dish/direct TV, Movies, amusement parks, but they have to be total and separated on your return and you must take 50% of the total, it is not fully deductible. Where as the Days that we Log actual tell the IRS when and where we are and the times we leave and arrive home. That is why we have to prorate the days by 1/4, Most drivers leave out from there home between 1 and 6 pm, so it gives you a 1/2 day and you might arrive home between 9 AM and midnight so it could be anywhere from 1/4 to a full day depending on the actual time you arrive home. This is the way the IRS goes by within an AUDIT, they do not use the other explanations at all when auditing a Truck driver. I know for a fact that this is what they check, I only had 1 driver audit where they actually took all the log books, and actually turned each page and figured actual days breaking down the leave and arrive times. So if you have any question please do not hesitate to ask. Franklin Katz, RTRP, ATP, PA, PB
315 E. King St.
Kings Mountain, NC28086
Web:frankstaxbusiness.com IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless expressly stated otherwise inthis
transmission, any tax advice contained herein, forwarded with or attached to
this message was not and is not intended to be used, nor may it be relied
upon or used, by any taxpayer for the purpose of (1) the avoidance of any
tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or
local tax law provisions, or (2) promoting, marketing or recommending to
another party any tax transaction or tax-related matters that may be
addressed herein.

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
FKATZ - thank you for the detailed explanation!

paullud - Do you understand what he said, I didn't? Just kidding! So the 1/4 day thing that you do looks like it's what the IRS does and that's what I need to do. I guess the DDL folks are handing out bad info.

I am reading this right, aren't I? Not kidding this time. lol I find tax stuff a bugger.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
FKATZ - thank you for the detailed explanation!

paullud - Do you understand what he said, I didn't? Just kidding! So the 1/4 day thing that you do looks like it's what the IRS does and that's what I need to do. I guess the DDL folks are handing out bad info.

I am reading this right, aren't I? Not kidding this time. lol I find tax stuff a bugger.

I guess it works out either way and I will just keep using the 1/4 day.

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Morning all, This is just a point of information, I have seen many tax preparers who say they know trucking, but when it comes to the Per Diem, they are not calculating it correctly, remember it is the total number of days away from home calculated at $50.00 per day. If you are using an over the counter software, Turbo Tax, Tax Act, Tax Cut, or doing it online, make sure you find a box stating the "Subject to DOT Regulations" and since I do not use these software's I have no idea where the box is within the Sch C. it you cannot find it, you are only going to get 50% of the total, not 80% EXAMPLE: YOUR OUT 300 DAYS AT $59 PER DAY $17,700.00 80% OF 17,700.00 IS $ 14,160.00 AND IS THE deduction YOU ARE ENTITILED TO Franklin Katz, RTRP, ATP, PA, PB
315 E. King St.
Kings Mountain, NC28086

Web: Filing Services

IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless expressly stated otherwise inthis
transmission, any tax advice contained herein, forwarded with or attached to this message was not and is not intended to be used, nor may it be relied upon or used, by any taxpayer for the purpose of (1) the avoidance of any tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions, or (2) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any tax transaction or tax-related matters that may be addressed herein.

Reactions: SimpleTrucker.com