Big Truck Penske Used Trucks

Remo

New Recruit
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone here has previously purchased a used truck from Penske? If so, what was your experience like and would you buy one again? I am looking at the medium duty straight trucks (<26,000#), 2011/2012 model year,coming out of their current rental fleet. The truck will be used mostly for local delivery work with an occasional out of state run.

Their buying process is different to me, basically once you find a truck you're interested in you put a $250 deposit down, then you pick up (or they deliver) your new truck 2-3 weeks later! The lady at their call center that I spoke with said the trucks stay in the rental fleet until a deposit is received therefore, actually being able to see the truck in person and kick the tires is not guaranteed. Then she gave me the typical "we sell thousands of trucks each year sight unseen"

Anyways, your wisdom is appreciated...

Below is MY pro/con list to buying a retired Penske truck:

Pro's:
Late model/low mileage trucks
3 month 15K mile warranty included in sale
Fleet maintained, supposedly to manufactures recommendations
Most of the medium duty units are up fitted with lift gates, e-track
Price

Con's
Non-CDL units
Driven/abused by the unexperienced
Yellow paint (most companies prefer all white trucks)
Sold "sight-unseen" most of the time?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My owner has purchased several over the years. I am driving one now. Never have any problems.

Reactions: neilblack

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
make sure you are able to get maintance fold of unit

Remo

New Recruit
Thanks for the feedback. A lot of people that I talk to keep telling me to stay away from the trucks but a comparable truck elsewhere is about $15,000 more with almost double the mileage...

I am hoping to go take a look at one or two of the units they have for sale locally today...

mugurpe

Seasoned Expediter
I bought a former penske lease truck and had good experiences with it. I got it with 180K on it and it was a nice well maintained tight running truck. The problems I've had with it where standard problems that any truck of that brand would have. I didn't buy it from penske, but from their customer whose lease was ending. They paid the lease off and sold it to me on craigslist. I was also able to call up and get a couple years of maintenance records printed out which was helpful.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
look on here in free want adds
I sold my western star here and bought my first sprinter here to

Remo

New Recruit
Yea, I do watch the classifieds on here, there is a lot of nice equipment. However a lot of it is too old, I am looking for something 2010 or newer and without a sleeper.

I went and looked at a used 26' Penske today. Seemed like a good running truck, only has 131,250 miles on it. The back platform was all mangled up but supposedly that would be repaired before the sale. Other than that my only concern is that every single one of their International 4300's that I have looked at have already had the turbo replaced, one had the turbo replaced 2X already!

tknight

Veteran Expediter
The current 4300 I'm driving right now just had the turbo replaced its common I guess better to have one that's been replaced now rather than you paying for it in 90 days all trucks have problems I be had my share in freight liners as well. Erg headaches in those years are common also I'd prefer a non egr motor

sewmun

Seasoned Expediter
FWIW almost 6yrs ago I bought an off lease 24'FL70 off Ryder w/191K mi. & it's been real dependable.I have to go to Wy & Tx once a yr & we haul our own freight w/it every month..They gave me the service records from day one.

Deville

Not a Member
Buy with confidence if you are looking at a Penske or Ryder rig. I have found Penske has better deals than Ryder.

Remo

New Recruit
Well, I think I have decided that if I go through with buying a Penske or Ryder truck I will most likely look for something that is coming off of a long term lease. I have looked at a handful of the short term and one-way rentals and almost every single one of them has a decent amount of damage. Not saying I am expecting a new truck but I would like to avoid as much box damage and visible body work as possible.

Reactions: Treadmill

Deville

Not a Member
Well, I think I have decided that if I go through with buying a Penske or Ryder truck I will most likely look for something that is coming off of a long term lease. I have looked at a handful of the short term and one-way rentals and almost every single one of them has a decent amount of damage. Not saying I am expecting a new truck but I would like to avoid as much box damage and visible body work as possible.
If possible I would avoid the rental fleet. To many different drivers.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I bought my ST that came off lease from enterprise. the selling point and its a good one is you know its been maintained properly, and to DOT standards. Also, Doug Duck Tape and Terry Twist Tie weren't half aszedly wrenching on it.
The better ones are off lease because if you abuse or damage it while leasing you pay for the repairs and the fees are they are not cheap.
Best part is you have a history for that unit.
Just don't close on the deal until you're happy.

Reactions: Deville