Penske Truck Leasing

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I saw the following ad on ebay motors and it got me curious about looking at an ex Penske truck when I get my next van.

GMC : Savana - eBay (item 180600655288 end time Dec-20-10 16:14:01 PST)

From the ad:

"This vehicle was originally owned by Penske Truck Leasing. It was serviced and thoroughly inspected by their certified mechanics before coming out of service. This included an oil test and the truck passed with flying colors. The truck was reinspected and thoroughly detailed by one of our certified mechanics when we returned to our shop. It is in truly excellent condition and is 100% ready to go to work. Everything on this truck works perfectly, just as it should.There is a warranty available through Penske.

As a side note, let us tell you a bit about Penske. It has absolutely the best maintenance record in the industry. They spare no expense on their vehicles. Every part that goes on their trucks is brand new, never used or refurbished. Every time the oil is changed, an oil test is done. On this truck, we have the complete maintenance records from Day 1"

For anyone who has dealt with Penske before, do these words seem to ring true? I have no experience with them but full maintenance records on a used truck would be a great bonus.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Yeap...I'd have no problem buying a truck from Penske, I bought mine from Ryder...They do have a good maintainance program with their lease vehicles, as long as it was followed...but while this my be a EX-penske van, it is NOT being sold by Penske..it is being sold by a used car dealer and chances are he bought it at auction or from Penske...

Oh, and that price seems a bit "high" for a van with over 200,000 miles on it and it is also a HD 3/4 ton van at 8600 lb gvw not a 1 ton 3500 9600 lb gvw

Last edited:

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeap...I'd have no problem buying a truck from Penske, I bought mine from Ryder...They do have a good maintainance program with their lease vehicles, as long as it was followed...but while this my be a EX-penske van, it is NOT being sold by Penske..it is being sold by a used car dealer and chances are he bought it at auction or from Penske...

Oh, and that price seems a bit "high" for a van with over 200,000 miles on it and it is also a HD 3/4 ton van at 8600 lb gvw not a 1 ton 3500 9600 lb gvw

Thanks chef. I'm not looking to buy right now but that ad caught my eye. Penske and others will be options that I'll now consider.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
My only concern would be this statement right here:

The motor was completely gone through by GM at 151,400 miles. This van looks and runs like new, with the exception of a few small dents on the rear doors. We spoke the original driver of this truck who said it hauled just 800lbs of video on a daily basis. He also said 99% of the miles were highway miles, both before and after the engine rebuild.
Why would a Duramax Diesel that was used to haul only 800 lbs of video OTR 99% of the time have to be rebuilt at 151K miles?

I could understand if it was in a Silverado pulling 10-12K lb trailers OTR 99% of the time, but not this.

Dealer sales hype, that's all. You may never know exactly what that truck was used for, having maintenance records or not.

I love these GM windowless Savana & Express vans, but have to wonder why GM will spring $6,000 to put a Duramax under the hood but will not go ahead and throw in another $280 to put power windows and doors lock in it. Know what I mean.

Oh yeah, anybody else notice the "Dealer Detailing" they did under the hood??

Dealer Detailing - 1 gallon of water to clean + 5 gallons of Armor All to make it look pretty :D

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I love these GM windowless Savana & Express vans, but have to wonder why GM will spring $6,000 to put a Duramax under the hood but will not go ahead and throw in another $280 to put power windows and doors lock in it. Know what I mean.

Well that's the way they order them from GM, Penske and Ryder alike - fleet vehicles.

GM should have a record of what was fixed on the van, doubt they did anything like an overhaul, they may have just replaced the entire engine if it went any deeper than injector work or cam shaft replacement.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Penske orders these vans and cubes without power windows/door locks and without tilt and cruise and a basic radio. I figure this is how they cut costs, plus it's less on the van to break. Yes their maintenance plans are very complete. On the straight trucks every PM 20K/or three months is like an annual inspection and they send the oil in for analysis. I don't know what the interval for cargo vans are. On that note we are in the market for a cube and it will probably be a Penske or Ryder :eek:)

Shadowpanda

Seasoned Expediter
Would like to point out that its pretty useless to run tests on fresh oil. The time you pull the sample is before you change it. :D