Payload capacity for my new setup

jm91rs

Rookie Expediter
I'm looking at getting rid of the 22' straight truck and switching to a 28' single axle pup with single axle peterbilt tractor. Before I do this I'd like to compare apples to apples with my current set up versus tractor/pup versus straight truck tandem axle. You would think the dealers could help with this, but I have conflicting info and am not about to spend 100k to get the wrong truck.

Here are the specs. Can anyone help me figure out the "loaded perfect payload max"? I understand that tires and wheels have to be rated right, I know that max on any axle is 20k, I'm just a little lost on bridge formulas.

Single axle tractor - front axles rated 12,500, rear axle 23,000, wheel base 13.75', truck weight 11,250.

Single axle 28' pup - axles rated 23,000, no idea on the distance from this axle to the rear of the tractor axle. Trailer weight is 9,500.

Just going by what I think I know, I'm thinking 20k rear trailer axle, 20k rear tractor axle, 12k front tractor axle minus total weight = 31,250 left over for driver, payload, fuel. Am I correct here or is the bridge formula going to trump this? Will it be incredibly difficult to load the truck near max?

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Steer axle weight is 12k unless you got some bigger tired on your steer. If you're spending 100k on a truck why not get one with tandem drives? It will give you more load opportunities.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Steer axle weight is 12k unless you got some bigger tired on your steer. If you're spending 100k on a truck why not get one with tandem drives? It will give you more load opportunities.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If it's new, the factory will put tires rated for 12,500 prior to certifying it as 12,500.

A common mis-conception is you can put bigger tires on a 12,000 lb axle and up your capacity.
They look for the weakest link in the chain.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
What carrier are you planning on running with?
I think you will be limited to @ 25,000 lbs of freight due to the single drive axle.

Sent from my EVO using EO Forums mobile app

DieselDriver

Seasoned Expediter
Good luck finding a company that will sign you on and give you the pay you need to run your truck...I thought of this idea some time ago taking a volvo tractor, removing one drive axel, extending the frame for a nice comfy sleeper and pulling a pup.
now the first question was always why not a 53' trailer...cause i wanted a 29' pup, then they say well I can't pay you semi rate cause you are to short, i'll have to pay you straight truck rate.
I tried 6 or 7 different carriers and could not find one that would give it a try...so good luck and hope it works.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Fedex has a fleet of pups ready to go. At straight truck rates I think you'd do well.
$20,000 will buy a better tractor than straight truck.
Mileage should be comparable.
Don't know their program.
Only problem I see, is they'll jackknife easily.
Upside, if it doesn't work, find a TT gig.