Paying someone to outfit Transit

Pigeon Post

Active Expediter
I've looked at a lot of threads with different setups for Sprinters on these forums, and some of you guys are just geniuses. Your problem solving is based on actually encountering the problems, and paying your dues inside the vans, and that experience is really valuable. Unfortunately I'm not going to get that opportunity as a fleet owner, having only done shorthaul til now, but I need to make sure my drivers hit the road in comfort when I put them in my equipment to do the longhaul stuff. So I need to pay someone to do it. I was considering bringing it to one of the RV outfitters here in Southern AZ, since there are plenty of them, but I really would prefer not to pay $20k to make the van livable. Anybody know an outfitter in AZ, or a resource I could use to track one down?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
They aren't in AZ but Sportsmobile in Austin did a very good job on my G3500 van, installing an Onan 2800 generator, Coleman low profile roof air/heat, fantastic fan, insulation, paneling, custom jalousie window, shore power, inverter, hotel battery, lighting and probably one or two other things I'm forgetting for half that much.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Think solar panels to help keep fuel cost down during the winter....a good 125watt panel can keep a espar heater going strong by keeping the battery charged.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Think weight, every piece you add will subtract from what you can carry so choose wisely and get weight figures before they install anything.

Pigeon Post

Active Expediter
Thanks folks. I'm guessing there'll be some trial and error, and a lot of acting on driver feedback. The van I've got right now has a 650 lb lift gate hanging off the back, so that cuts down my capacity quite a bit, but it's necessary for the application it's being used for right now. Anyone find much of a demand for a lift gate with expedited sprinter work? I may just keep the Transit I've got local, and spec another one for the out of state stuff. I know a lot more about expediting than I did when I bought the first one.