Pay for FUEl or Not as a 1099 IC Sprinter Driver

theOhioman

New Recruit
Driver
I'm new to the Otr but not driving in general. Question is it better to have the Fleet owner pay for Fuel or pay fuel yourself so when come Tax time you can use the fuel cost towards your taxes? I have 2 0ffers on the board from Fleet owners. 1st offer I pay for Fuel and claim fuel cost at tax time , they pay all tolls and all truck repairs. I'm promised about 1500-2000 miles a week .60-40 split with 60 going to me. Weekly after expensives I should take home $700. 2nd offer they pay for Fuel and I can't claim fuel cost at end of year on taxes. Pay rate is 50% of gross or 36 cents a loaded mile.They also pay all Tolls and van maintenance,repairs. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would probably take the van that's outfitted more comfortable. 50% of gross needs nailed down. Does that mean they keep half of hand loads, delay time, fuel, get exact info. No one can promise x miles a week. I would ask for numbers of former and current drivers from both and talk to them.

Living the dream

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would find out what you are getting paid per mile. For example I pay my van drivers .80 cents per loaded mile an they pay fuel an tolls. I pay repairs. Van gets 1.20 per mile I also pay the drivers all dh pay as well as lay over pay if any. So find out what's in there contract. It will help you out better on what you are making on each load.

theOhioman

New Recruit
Driver
I would probably take the van that's outfitted more comfortable. 50% of gross needs nailed down. Does that mean they keep half of hand loads, delay time, fuel, get exact info. No one can promise x miles a week. I would ask for numbers of former and current drivers from both and talk to them.

theOhioman

New Recruit
Driver
I will have to ask about half for hand loads & delay time. So are you saying you like the 60-40 split and I pay for Fuel. It seems a lot of people prefer to pay for there own fuel so they can claim on taxes at end of year . How do you feel about this Xiggi.

theOhioman

New Recruit
Driver
I would find out what you are getting paid per mile. For example I pay my van drivers .80 cents per loaded mile an they pay fuel an tolls. I pay repairs. Van gets 1.20 per mile I also pay the drivers all dh pay as well as lay over pay if any. So find out what's in there contract. It will help you out better on what you are making on each load.

theOhioman

New Recruit
Driver
I was told the Van gets 75 cents a mile and 10 cents for DH. I haven't nailed anything down yet for either owner who I'm gonna run with yet . I'm still working on all the numbers. Is 10 cents a mile for DH fair ? Thank you for the input Sir.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
I would pay for the fuel and take the 60% but if you pay for the fuel you should get 100% of the fuel surcharge on top of the 60% linehaul. also you should get 100% of empty move, hand unload or any kind of bonus. if you let them pay for the fuel you will most likely be micro managed and told when and where you can go.and its better to be free to choose.
.75 per mile sucks