Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Pass the Pasta, head for the produce isle

Spaghetti dinner

1 spaghetti squash
2 skinless boneless chicken breasts
Your favorite sauce

Cut squash in half, scoop out seeds. Place squash cut side down in baking dish, add 1cup of water.
Place chicken breasts in baking dish.
Place both dishes in oven for 30-45 min @375°

Get your sauce ready in the last 10-15 minutes of baking. Or just add it to the chicken dish for the last fee minutes.

When spaghetti squash is done, flip over and scoop out squash with a FORK. It will look just like spaghetti, but as a veggie, it should be much healthier than pasta.

Plate up the squash, top with a chicken breast and add your sauce.

This is a great pasta alternative, tastes great and is quite filling.

I haven't tried this in a rice cooker, as I know many here like to use, but it does work in a crock pot, so it SHOULD work in the rice cooker too.

Last edited:

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Another pasta alternative is to grate a zucchini squash lengthwise into long strips.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I think you should have titled this "Pass, on the pasta", lol.
I'm really interested in trying spaghetti squash, but have to say that zucchini could not possibly taste like pasta, no matter what kind of sauce it's in. If passing on pasta [carb reduction] is the goal, then looking like pasta is good enough, but is spaghetti squash anywhere near the taste & texture of pasta?
I like zucchini, and yellow crookneck squash, [and squash bisque is delicious!] but don't know much about other kinds. I think I would be disappointed to get squash taste when looking forward to pasta, you know what I mean? If it tastes like squash, I'd rather expect [and use it for] that, than a pasta substitute.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I like when they say "it tastes like chicken". If I wanted something that tastes like chicken, I'll have chicken!;)

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think you should have titled this "Pass, on the pasta", lol.
I'm really interested in trying spaghetti squash, but have to say that zucchini could not possibly taste like pasta, no matter what kind of sauce it's in. If passing on pasta [carb reduction] is the goal, then looking like pasta is good enough, but is spaghetti squash anywhere near the taste & texture of pasta?
I like zucchini, and yellow crookneck squash, [and squash bisque is delicious!] but don't know much about other kinds. I think I would be disappointed to get squash taste when looking forward to pasta, you know what I mean? If it tastes like squash, I'd rather expect [and use it for] that, than a pasta substitute.

It doesn't taste like squash. It doesn't taste like pasta either. It isn't starchy. It will look like pasta but will more take on the flavor of the sauce, if that makes sense.
In the same sense that butternut squash doesn't taste like yellow(crookneck) squash, spaghetti squash doesn't taste like either one. It is more of a texture and resemblance to spaghetti but not the starch or carbs.
Zucchini on the other hand, " resembles" spaghetti in appearance, sort of, but in no way tastes like pasta. But it too will take on the flavor of the sauce. For those avoiding carbs and wanting to add more veggies to their diet, it is not a bad substitute, but I prefer spaghetti squash to pasta.
If I could just find a 'macaroni' squash...:)

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Re: Pass the Pasta, head for the produce isle

Cheri, I'm curious about the squash bisque. What's in it ?

Jenny

Veteran Expediter

I made spaghetti squash a week or so ago. I guess I needed to cook it longer so it wasn't as crunchy. The whole looks like pasta but isn't soft thing creeper me out.

Sent from my XT1080 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I made spaghetti squash a week or so ago. I guess I needed to cook it longer so it wasn't as crunchy. The whole looks like pasta but isn't soft thing creeper me out.

Sent from my XT1080 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

It shouldn't be crunchy. Maybe bake a little longer.