Panther Refusal Stats

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Sorry, I had a question relating to Turtle's post in the Panther Forum, but am not able to post it there, so started a new thread here.
Just wondering how the deadhead works in that equation.. if they ask you to deadhead 500 miles, but the 100 loaded miles are at your full rate, plus a few cents fsc, and you decide not to take it because of the deadhead.. will that refusal count as a refusal?
At which level of deadhead will the load be counted as a refusal?

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
It would pay around 335 plus fsc so you would clear 200-230 depending on your MPG. but then you could turn it down and it not count under the 8 hour rule

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
Dead head is .50 a mile over 100 so that is where 200 of the dollars would come from, the paid miles are over 73 so that is where the rest comes from FSC is paid on loaded miles only

What level can you turn down and it not count? well under the 8 hour rule i would guess 377 miles because 8*47 is 376, that would be turning down 138 dollars in dead head.

soxydun

Seasoned Expediter
Just wondering how the deadhead works in that equation.. if they ask you to deadhead 500 miles, but the 100 loaded miles are at your full rate, plus a few cents fsc, and you decide not to take it because of the deadhead.. will that refusal count as a refusal?
At which level of deadhead will the load be counted as a refusal?

This happened to us recently. We were offered a short load, with a 101 deadhead and less than 100 paid miles. we told them we could not do it, since it was essentially more than a wash. Surprisingly, they did not ding us for it, with a refusal. I think they use some discretion, but we take a vast majority of the loads that we are offered and currently maintain a 100% acceptance, 100% on time and 100% avail. We only turn down loads that won't cost us refusals.:cool:

Twizted1

Seasoned Expediter
Wow its a whole different world for you st and tt drivers.
Van drivers wouldnt even get a fraction of that in DH pay.maybee 10.00 for that much DH.I feel that It shouldnt count as a refusal for a load that has more than 25% Dh.Also no refusal for using your truck as a rolling storage for days on end.I ran into a van driver the other day sitting in chicago,He had a 45% rate for acceptance and couldnt get loaded for his own life.Everytime another truck rolled in the board with a better acceptance rate he was bumped in position.Wouldnt you think that a change like this would get a prior notification to the fleet and evrybody started fresh at 100%?Really just seems to be shady buisness practices the way things went down with this new addition to the rules!!!!!The driver council should get the boot in my opinon!!!!!:mad:

Dead head is .50 a mile over 100 so that is where 200 of the dollars would come from, the paid miles are over 73 so that is where the rest comes from FSC is paid on loaded miles only

What level can you turn down and it not count? well under the 8 hour rule i would guess 377 miles because 8*47 is 376, that would be turning down 138 dollars in dead head.

Last edited:

Twizted1

Seasoned Expediter
The 8 hour rule in my understanding is only for when a load doesnt pick up for 8 hrs. example dispatch calls you up at 1300 for a load that picks up at 2200, this load wouldnt count towards your acceptance rate cuz its more than 8 hrs to pickup.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
.... We were offered a short load, with a 101 deadhead and less than 100 paid miles. we told them we could not do it, since it was essentially more than a wash. Surprisingly, they did not ding us for it, with a refusal....

That's what I was getting at.. I figured there would be a max dh they could expect you to take, with anything over that not affecting your refusal status. Sounds like there is no limit to that, which kinda sucks.. good they can use discretion to decide, but can the dispatchers be counted on to be *that* competent? (No offence to Panther in particular)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
A 500 mile deadhead isn't very likely to be one that picks up in less than 8 hours from the time of the load offer. :)

But in a more realistic scenario, 200 miles for 140 loaded, you turn that one down and it's subject to a refusal. I would hope that discretion would be used, or if they need to get it covered quickly, a positive incentive, rather than the negative incentive of being hit with a refusal. ;)

"Wouldnt you think that a change like this would get a prior notification to the fleet and evrybody started fresh at 100%?"

I don't know about the starting everyone fresh at 100% thing, as your load history is what it is, but my only real beef with this is that it was implemented with zero notice. I don't mind playing by the rules, but I need to know what they are, and ya can't keep making them up or changing them as we go along. Don't call me a Partner and then blind side me, and don't talk about being professional if you are unwilling to be professional yourself. Changing the rules of the game in the middle of the game with no advance notice is an unprofessional act. While I can certainly understand the need to go ahead an implement this quickly, sufficient notice should have been given. Then again, it affects probably 20% of the drivers in any significant manner, a 20% that, quite honestly, Panther has no real reason to coddle or protect.

Twizted1

Seasoned Expediter
That's what I was getting at.. I figured there would be a max dh they could expect you to take, with anything over that not affecting your refusal status. Sounds like there is no limit to that, which kinda sucks.. good they can use discretion to decide, but can the dispatchers be counted on to be *that* competent? (No offence to Panther in particular)

Unfortunetly the dispatchers will count it against you 98% of the time unless you get a experienced/understanding one.you have to stay on top of your game,constantly checking the owner web for errors.If you even let your guard down once GAME OVER.It is truley sad that I have to spend a good portion of my day monitoring others work,on top of my dutys.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
A 500 mile deadhead isn't very likely to be one that picks up in less than 8 hours from the time of the load offer. :)

But in a more realistic scenario, 200 miles for 140 loaded, you turn that one down and it's subject to a refusal....

Are you calling me unrealistic?? Hmmph!

J/k, I realized my mistake in exaggerating after I got mjolnir's reply, which made my head buzz, btw. Thank you for all your responses, got it now :)

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
Jeez, sounds like running for Panther, from an owner operator point of view, is more like high school than a business partnership.

soxydun

Seasoned Expediter
Unfortunetly the dispatchers will count it against you 98% of the time unless you get a experienced/understanding one.you have to stay on top of your game,constantly checking the owner web for errors.If you even let your guard down once GAME OVER.It is truley sad that I have to spend a good portion of my day monitoring others work,on top of my dutys.

I agree, you have to monitor your driver website constantly. For example, you are not supposed to get dinged for refusing a reduced rate load or (if you are on home tyme request) turning down a load going the wrong way. We had that happen the other day. The dispatcher said it wouldn't count against us, but hit us with a refusal (both of the above reasons applied to us). I had to call driver relations, twice to get it removed.
I try to remember that dispatchers are human, in some cases they only work weekends or are newer. But it does get frustrating, having to monitor every load offer with your stats. We ended up taking a reduced rate load, but the miles were great and the fsc was pretty good. Gotta look for those silver linings!;)

Twizted1

Seasoned Expediter
Yea dont get me wrong Panther does have the customers/freight.They pulled stuff out of thin air for me before(or it seemed)But there is a definate need for improvement in the partner/carrier relationship.I could name off a list of things as well as other O/Os could ,that need a tweek to make it profittable for all partys.:cool:

Desperado

Seasoned Expediter
I heard this was coming back in nov when i complained about 180dh for a 80 mi when there was 5 trucks sitting there and was told that it was coming that those who turn down would end up sitting but wasn't given any time when it would start been close to 100% since then was close then but now right at but never know what may happen next week

Last edited:

fastrod

Expert Expediter
Jeez, sounds like running for Panther, from an owner operator point of view, is more like high school than a business partnership.
Business partnership is just a term used to inflate the O/Os ego. The fact that panther started this policy this quick and with little warning proves that they consider O/Os more to be employees than business partners. With that said I respect what panther is doing, they need to get these loads covered at any way possible.

trkr75

Seasoned Expediter
OK after reading all the posts on this issue I will chime in. Some will like what I have to say some wont, some will agree some will call me a turd. Such is life. One, yes I am on the council, and to my surprise (not) I have not got any emails, posts, calls nothing at all. Have any one of you guys contacted your driver reps? or just sit on this board and complain. Not trying to tick you off but if you don't contact us then how are we to know what is on your mind? Two, this was not something that the "council" pushed for, came up with, invented or anything it was presented to us on a phone call. Three, I don't see it as a bad thing, unless your acceptance rate is low, then you would probably turn down the load anyways. Panther has all ways looked at people with high acceptance rates first when they had a load that they"had to know right now" if they could book it. They come right out and say it in orientation. All they are saying is if you turn down 33% of loads offered then you can wait till the guys and gals that will run the bad along with the good and don't cherry pick get one. Chances are you will turn it down anyways. If you are worried about DH then go to the one rate for all miles, if works out better for the driver in the long run. I love the 300 DH mile for 150 loaded runs, one rate for all miles sure I will take it in a heart beat. Yea some loads it doesn't work out for me I may lose a little but on the long run I make out like a bandit. Well enough said I look forward to hearing from some of you on the driver web site if you don't know the site add here it is Premium Ground & Air Freight Services, Urgent, Guaranteed & Expedite Shipping Like I said earlier we on the council are not mind readers send us you concerns along with solutions we will let panther know that is why you voted us in. with that said we are not panther employees we can't change everything and things don't change overnight.

Ken Billings
Truck 9276
[email protected]

trkr75

Seasoned Expediter
Wow its a whole different world for you st and tt drivers.
Van drivers wouldnt even get a fraction of that in DH pay.maybee 10.00 for that much DH.I feel that It shouldnt count as a refusal for a load that has more than 25% Dh.Also no refusal for using your truck as a rolling storage for days on end.I ran into a van driver the other day sitting in chicago,He had a 45% rate for acceptance and couldnt get loaded for his own life.Everytime another truck rolled in the board with a better acceptance rate he was bumped in position.Wouldnt you think that a change like this would get a prior notification to the fleet and evrybody started fresh at 100%?Really just seems to be shady buisness practices the way things went down with this new addition to the rules!!!!!The driver council should get the boot in my opinon!!!!!:mad:
Just wondering why you think the driver council should get the boot? This was not our idea. It was presented to us in a phone call.This really affects are people with low acceptance rates who by their own history will probably turn the run down anyways. The guy with 45% acceptance rate why is he even out here? Doesn't sound like he wants to run any ways. oh well just wondering

Ken billings
truck 9276
[email protected]