panther new board positions

brandi323

Seasoned Expediter
is everyone happy with the new board positions relating to your acceptance levels? personally i am not. if the driver council was involved in this decision you need to resign those positions because you certainly aren't looking out for me or the other several other panther o/o that i have talked to. i guess you feel its ok to run loads that you will lose money on, or wait maybe you haven't been offered a load with a 200 mile dh and 130 miles loaded, or how about being offered short loads into canada because the truck that just came up from laredo can't go into canada. or does it make any sense to take 230 mile run into an area where 8 teams are already sitting and there averaging 2 loads per day. you tell me what was wrong with the old system and how this is going to improve my bottom line? it won't. as i said before you need to resign your positions if you were involved in this decision because you are not speaking for the for the MAJORITY of the o/o and i would guarantee that.

rdtrpn

Seasoned Expediter
Panther has been losing money, I have built a good rapport with a seville employee. This is what I was told. That is the reason the load advance is down to 45%, they get to keep more money up front and bank to earn interest.

That is the reason for the board position change of only the 67% approval rating trucks getting top positions. Panther has lost business from late loads and failure to find trucks for loads. This company is hurting! Haven't you notice the deficit rating of more truck versus load averages on the boards. It has nothing to do with the slow time of the year either. Its been that way for the last few months, not just during the big 3 shutdown.

Owners and Drivers are getting out, at least the ones I've talked to lately.

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
it only effects those turning down over 1/3 of their loads, If your turning down that many loads your going broke anyways. and as for your example if the load was not lower than rate,in which case it would not count against your acceptance number anyways, your looking at around 150 buck profit before FSC not great for 5 hours work but not horrible either

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I don't think there is any question that Panther's profits are down from last year. I feel pretty comfortable saying that is acrossed the board with just about any freight/expedite company.
With regards to the new percentage thing, I would agree. If your turning down one third of the current loads, your better off staying home. I think the motive is to rid the fleet of the hobby expediter.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Panther has been losing money. .
That is not true. They are owned by Fenway Partners which has very deep pockets.

I have built a good rapport with a seville employee. This is what I was told. That is the reason the load advance is down to 45%, they get to keep more money up front and bank to earn interest. .

No, the reason that the load advance went down to 45% is because the cost of fuel has went down. There is no need to load that much on to a drivers card. One of our drivers had over $3000.00 built up on his card. The comdata cards are to be used for fuel not to pay people or to be used as a bank.

That is the reason for the board position change of only the 67% approval rating trucks getting top positions. Panther has lost business from late loads and failure to find trucks for loads..

I have turned down loads that didn't pay my rate, I told the agent that we would do the load at our rate and was told they have to offer it to the other trucks 1st. We never got a call back, so they get the loads covered. I understand the why they did that, but it will help everyone in the long run. Customers that call in with that 200 mile load is not going to call Panther with a 1500 mile load if they can't cover the 200 mile one.

This company is hurting! Haven't you notice the deficit rating of more truck versus load averages on the boards. It has nothing to do with the slow time of the year either. Its been that way for the last few months, not just during the big 3 shutdown..

No to be honest, I was in Iowa and it said that board only did one load a day.
We was offered 3 loads that day. The 1st two offers picked up the next morning, so I turned them down. The 3rd load went to Philley that picked up a few hours later.

Owners and Drivers are getting out, at least the ones I've talked to lately.

Our trucks have been doing fine with Panther and we have been talking about adding another one.

Tempest

Seasoned Expediter
If a load isnt profitable dont take it! Simple enough right? Now define profitable.

A load is not profitable because it doesnt pay my rate because I have a contract that says I will get X.

A load is not profitable if it doesnt run atleast 500 miles.

We are a team truck. A load is not profitable to us if it should have been sent to a solo driver.

If you believe these statements YOU are why the acceptance rate has come into play in the manner it has today. YOU are the reason customers are looking elsewhere to have their frieght moved. I hate to be blunt here but come on people. WAKE UP!!!!!! I have run some very profitable reduced rate loads. I have had great weeks running a dozen "solo" runs. I know I am not the only one. Stop whining and start driving. Sitting in the parking lot waiting for the "perfect load" costs money. It doesnt make a dime.

Realistically define profitable. Then, if you arent profitable go find some other way of making a living the IS profitable.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
yepper, a 67% (or worse) acceptance rate???? No wonder they're wanting to cull the herd. Y'all couldn't work with me a month. Having typed that, I gotta hand it to ya, yer the best thing since sliced bread for the partner carriers. No wonder there is so much freight out there.

rdtrpn

Seasoned Expediter
That is not true. They are owned by Fenway Partners which has very deep pockets.

No, the reason that the load advance went down to 45% is because the cost of fuel has went down. There is no need to load that much on to a drivers card. One of our drivers had over $3000.00 built up on his card. The comdata cards are to be used for fuel not to pay people or to be used as a bank.

I have turned down loads that didn't pay my rate, I told the agent that we would do the load at our rate and was told they have to offer it to the other trucks 1st. We never got a call back, so they get the loads covered. I understand the why they did that, but it will help everyone in the long run. Customers that call in with that 200 mile load is not going to call Panther with a 1500 mile load if they can't cover the 200 mile one.

No to be honest, I was in Iowa and it said that board only did one load a day.
We was offered 3 loads that day. The 1st two offers picked up the next morning, so I turned them down. The 3rd load went to Philley that picked up a few hours later.

Our trucks have been doing fine with Panther and we have been talking about adding another one.

NO to be honest, you are an idiot.

rdtrpn

Seasoned Expediter
yepper, a 67% (or worse) acceptance rate???? No wonder they're wanting to cull the herd. Y'all couldn't work with me a month. Having typed that, I gotta hand it to ya, yer the best thing since sliced bread for the partner carriers. No wonder there is so much freight out there.

What the hell are you smoking? Your saying a load with as much deadhead as miles should be accepted, a mini load should be accepted when your HOS are started and you know **** well you won't get another load if you take it. Your right I COULDN'T work for you even a month.

rdtrpn

Seasoned Expediter

I can't believe your accepting of the fact that you have to wait for your money you've earned. Nobody in their right mind waits for their money if they have the choice of getting more up front, NOBODY. 55% down to 45% is an insult and Panther doesn't give a blank about the driver.

Last edited by a moderator:

cruzer

Not a Member
I'm new to EO but I have been expediteing for almost 4yrs. and believe it or not I have never turned down a load.When I first started I didn't know you could turn them down and by the time I realized you could it was already a system for me and it worked so why change.Each load leads to the next,sitting in a parking lot,well common sense leads no where.It doesn't hurt to try but you do have to use your head after you unload but I can't tell you everything.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
This is a Panther thread and I seldom talk about competing carriers in the Open Forum (seldom meaning a low percentage of my posts, probably a single-digit percentage). I jump into this thread this time, only to ask a specific question about something Bruno touched on. I do not jump in to in any way discourage people from Panther.

As an industry observer, I would love to know how you know that Fenway Partners has very deep pockets. As I understand it, Fenway is a private equity company that is not required to publicly disclose its numbers. Many private equity companies have been devastated by the stock market crash and credit crisis. How do you know Fenway has or has not also been similarly affected?

I am not saying you are wrong. I am asking, how do you know? I am asking how you know because I would like to develop the same information source if possible.

Some time ago, Fenway prepared to do a Panther IPO and released some very good and informative information about Panther which was posted on the Securities and Exchange Commission web site as part of the public disclosure process. I was sad to see the IPO not go forward because the public information flow ceased.

Express-1 is a publicly-held company and I find their reports to be great reading. If you have a way of knowing how Fenway is doing and what it is doing, I would love to know what that way is. Information gained would be useful to any student of the expediting industry; veterans, rookies and wannabees alike.

Bruno, you are saying the private equity firm Fenway Partners has very deep pockets. If you please, would you be so kind as to share how you know?

Last edited:

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
rdtrpn said:
Panther has been losing money. .

bruno said:

Just wanted to point out that very deep pockets means they are able to remain in business very much longer than someone with no pockets, even while losing money; it does not mean they are not losing money.

Tempest

Seasoned Expediter
55% down to 45% is an insult and Panther doesn't give a blank about the driver.

It has always been 45%. Panther has'nt taken anything from anyone. They GAVE US an extra 10% because fuel was pushing $5.00 a gallon. Things are merely returning to normal. And as for your choice of words in this thread and the other one I agree with moose and many others that such, which only shows your ignorance, is not appreciated and has no place here. With a little luck, the powers that be in here will stumble across it and remove it before some of the younger readers find it!

Last edited by a moderator:

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
What the hell are you smoking? Your saying a load with as much deadhead as miles should be accepted, a mini load should be accepted when your HOS are started and you know **** well you won't get another load if you take it. Your right I COULDN'T work for you even a month.

Actually I smoke Camel shorts, if that helps? Yer employment prospects actually are without question! Can't imagine taking a load with more dh than the miles,,,, unless?? I'd have to say tho (jes guessing) that turning down (A) load once in a while like that should still give ya a 90+% rate.

Care to share what ya really did to get that poor a rating?????????????

Jes wonder'in?

brandi323

Seasoned Expediter
i hope you and your drivers keep taking the sucker loads so us money makers can keep making money. i'll guarantee you your revenue wouldn't come close to my truck.

Tempest

Seasoned Expediter
I wish you all the success you seek in this business and hope your way continues to work for you. My way works for me. As for revenue Show me yours and I'll show you mine ;)