own authority

Lee

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
After reading most of the posts on this forum, it seems most everybody wants to lease on to a company. What about having authority and finding your own loads? It seems there would be better pay in it. Or is it just too hard to do?

Robert

Seasoned Expediter
I think the biggest problem would getting the people to pay you. If they are slow payers, or just refuse to pay you, then you would have to take time off to try to collect your money. I hear drivers out there saying how some people owe them thousands of dollars for freight they hauled. The time you spend trying to collect is time you lose on the road. Just my thoughts.

Lee

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Isn't there a rating system or directory or something, that gives you credit information on the different brokers so you can tell who pays on time and who doesn't? Or do you kind of have to take whatever you can from whomever?

G

Yes Lee, there is. Alot of the "Loads" from websites have a credit rating system to let you know. Also there is a book called "Gold Book" from CompuNet that list 1000 + borkers who supposedly pay freight bills in under 30 days. Remember though, if you run 10,000 miles in a month, you have to carry over $10,000.00 worth of receivables (or a least you should) for 30 days. There are companies out there that will favor your receivables but they will charge 4-10 percent. So unless you have cash reserves, then you just have to weigh your options. Also OOIDA helps truckers with collections. Hope this helps.

Lee

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Good info. Thanks!
I've heard that most of the freight listed on the loadboards are loads that have been passed up. So, the brokers or shippers post them as a last resort. Usually not well paying or some other negative. Is this true?

lil_riv_trucker

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Lee, I'm not sure about that. A friend (who has his authority) and I did montitor one board, etrucker.net, under a 30day trial period. Lots of good paying loads for both Van and Flatbed. He's a car hauler and was considering other things when his business is off. Sometimes they post the pay and sometimes you have to call for it. There was also LTL's available. While what your saying may be or have been true, I believe the internet load boards will be a viable asset for truckers in both expedited and regular freight. I've been told that the Expedite Loads.com is a very good area to get extra work. What may be a junk load for some could be a perfect load for others. Everyone wants to get paid good for a load, but In my opinion, I would rather make a little less if it prevents deadheading and not making a thing. I'm not advocating hauling freight cheaply but a little $ is better then nothing.