Overweight on steer

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
At the moment I am 240 lbs overweight on a 12,000lbs steer axle, aren't I allowed a little over since I have an APU? Fuel tanks are full so I just have to burn some off.

shadow7663

Expert Expediter
Some states allow you to be over 12,000 pounds on the steer. Also not every state gives you the APU weight allowance. What states are you traveling?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I wouldn't really even worry about 240lbs. The APU weight allowance will get you by until you hit NC.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Can you burn off 34 gallons of diesel by n.c.? Or arrive after scale house closes? We are very close on our steers and commonly go over. No more than 200lbs usually. I've only been hassled by it in Oregon. Nobody else seems to care.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Can you burn off 34 gallons of diesel by n.c.? Or arrive after scale house closes? We are very close on our steers and commonly go over. No more than 200lbs usually. I've only been hassled by it in Oregon. Nobody else seems to care.

Atleast no one cares with that little over. I was 1300 over once and they cared about that.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Apu weight allowance???
Enlighten me please

Some states value air quality over road safety/construction/maint. So they allow you to deduct the weight of your APU from the weight of your vehicle at the scales. Only some states allow this and you have to have to certificate that came with your APU that shows the official weight of your APU.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Oh, they do this because the emissions from your APU running are less than that of your engine running. So you help save the environment.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I wonder how this is looked at on an under 26000 gvw truck
I'd hate to pull in at 26,400 and get into a math match with dot about it!

Skyline

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
FYI. Keep in mind that most under 26000gvw c class trucks are spec'd as follows: 10 000 pound front axle / 17 500 rear axle ( 27 500 pounds) The manufacturer limits the frame rating to 25 999 gvw that gets you under 26 000, but your front axle weight limit is only 10 000 and not 12 000. If you come across a trooper that knows this and had a bad day, it will turn into a bad day for you as well. Gvw is determened by the lessor of frame rating, axle rating or tire rating.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using EO Forums mobile app

zorry

Veteran Expediter
FYI. Keep in mind that most under 26000gvw c class trucks are spec'd as follows: 10 000 pound front axle / 17 500 rear axle ( 27 500 pounds) The manufacturer limits the frame rating to 25 999 gvw that gets you under 26 000, but your front axle weight limit is only 10 000 and not 12 000. If you come across a trooper that knows this and had a bad day, it will turn into a bad day for you as well. Gvw is determened by the lessor of frame rating, axle rating or tire rating.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using EO Forums mobile app

Finally, someone who gets it. :)

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Reversed the way the truck was and problem solved! Front axle is now at 11,120:)