Overcome Sugar Cravings

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
[h=2]Overcome Sugar Cravings For Good[/h]Do you have a love/hate relationship with sugar? The moment that bit of ice cream, pastry, or chocolate hits your tongue you revel in all its sweet, sugary goodness. Then, a hour or two passes and you’re thinking “I would love a nap right now!”
The sugar roller coaster has many passengers, and once it’s picked you up it becomes the ride from you-know-where. Sure, it’s fun while you’re moving, and yet so frustrating when you’re not allowed to get off. So goes the affair with sugar. You have a blast for a little while – filled with energy and thinking that you got just the pick-me-up you needed. However, when the sugar crash hits or when you step on the scale, you swear you’re going to stop eating sugar for good. Yet, you just can’t seem to kick the habit.
We feel your pain. Have you pledged to quit so many times that you just don’t want to lie to yourself anymore? But why are you a prisoner of your own sugar cravings? We’ll tell you; and even more importantly,we’ll show you how you kick the habit for good.
[h=2]This is Your Brain on Sugar[/h]Certain areas of the tongue are designated for certain tastes. Your tongue registers sweetness primarily toward the tip. Nerves then send a message to an area of your cerebral cortex that identifies the sweetness. Your brain’s reward system is then activated. This reward system is the main reason why we tend to repeat doing things that make us happy.
Your brain instantly thinks “That was good. I must do it again!” However, overactivity of this reward system leads to increased dopamine, which leads to addiction. Over time the brain is less likely to respond the same way to the same amount of sugar. You will need more and more sugar to maintain the same high. Basically, it means you lose control.
If you’re a more visual person you’ll find this TED Talk video helpful.
This doesn’t mean you should throw in towel because you’re at the mercy of chemical reactions that occur in your brain. No, you’re not off the hook. We’ll help you fight your addiction.
[h=2]Fight the Powers That Be[/h]Sugar can have a lot of power over you, but it doesn’t have to be that way. Some have stopped eating sugar cold turkey. If you find that you are in too deep with the sugar mafia, you may have to sneak out slowly instead of making a mad dash for the door.
First, realize that you are fighting an addiction. You may slip up, but over time you will conquer the addiction. Start by getting your mind in gear. This may take days or even weeks. Knowledge is power (and brings motivation), so the more you read about the dangers of sugar addiction the more you will be motivated to stop.
Next, pick one day to go without sugar. Perhaps a day when you’ll be really busy and less likely to just sit around thinking about how much you want that doughnut or double mocha latte. Make sure you give yourself an eating plan for the day. Don’t leave it to chance. You need to be prepared, making sure you eat all your meals on time (to avoid blood sugar dips) and having on hand plenty of wholesome snacks. Some healthy suggestions include:

• almonds
  • whole fruits
  • gluten-free crackers and cheese
  • low-sugar protein bars (Try a brand like Quest which contains minimal natural sweeteners)
You may have more of a sweet tooth than you realize. Packaged foods often include sugar, corn syrup, high-fructose corn syrup and other unhealthy sweeteners. Try these healthy food swaps to replace your sugary snacks:

Whatever you end up choosing, remember that the more fiber it has, the fuller you will feel – and the less likely you will reach for a sugar-laden snack.
So… you made it through one day! Congratulations! Next time try two days, or a week. Keep in mind that it can take up to eight weeks before your body is rid of the sugar addiction. You’ll be sugar-free before you know it!

I found this article very interesting. Here is the link to the original

Overcome Sugar Cravings For GoodAtlas Drug and Nutrition

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
Good article. I just saw the new documentary " Fed Up" . It digs deep into the sugar problem in America and our Government's complicity in it. It is interesting and a must see for those who are really interested in learning about our food system and how it effects our health.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I heartily recommend both stevia and natural peanut butter ...

In terms of an industrially-processed food product, Smucker's Natural Peanut Butter is usually available at better/bigger grocery stores and at Walmart ... and it really doesn't have anything added other than maybe salt, IIRC. Comes in creamy and crunchy varieties, and also one mixture with honey added I believe. I don't think it's quite as good as freshly ground peanut butter from your local health food store, but it's light-years above Jif or Skippy (IMHO)

It's interesting how if gives up or seriously reduces one's refined sugar consumption, the natural sweetness of things is much more noticeable ...

If you are used to (or addicted to) refined sugar, stevia can take some adjustment to get used to - as it is actually much sweeter than sugar and has it's own unique taste ... but I've found after 10+ years of substituting stevia for sugar in my coffee, that if we run out of stevia and I use refined white sugar, the coffee just tastes weird.

Over-consumption of refined white sugar wrecks serious havoc with one's adrenal glands ... to the point that things can get so out-of-balance and one can become so fatigued that staying awake for anymore than 4 to 6 hours at a time becomes essentially impossible.

Refined white sugar should have a large warning label on every package.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's interesting how if gives up or seriously reduces one's refined sugar consumption, the natural sweetness of things is much more noticeable ...
Slightly off topic, but the same applies to salt. When I decided to cut out excess sodium from my diet, I noticed that many foods became intolerable due to the saltiness that I had not noticed before.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Roamin good point on salt. I do not use salt to cook and there are only a couple things I will salt and that is only sometimes.

It is true now that I find a lot of food to be to salty to eat.