OUT AND BACK

hedgehog

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
On another thread I started last week I asked about hourly wages.

Most drivers ignore that statistic.

Sitting for unpaid hours that once they are gone, they are gone from our lives. And to give them away for free made no sense to me.

Therefore, about 10 years ago, when the glut of vans and the success of EOL was becoming apparent, I figured out that driving out and back was much more profitable on an hourly basis, not to mention being home most nights sleeping in my own bed, and being closer to my family.

It was the most sensible decision for me, at least.

Just the difference in the cost of the vehicle to drive OAB made much more sense.

Eating healthier and much more inexpensively, sitting out winter storms at home, etc., etc. Being home for the holidays.

I know there are others here who also do the OAB thing (Geo, Ragman, and more) also live this lifestyle. Maybe they can chime in other benefits as well.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
... I figured out that driving out and back was much more profitable on an hourly basis, ...
If out & back and paying yourself an hourly wage works for you, great. Just don't go blind doing it. The only that counts is what's in your pocket at the end of the year.

Do you pay yourself an hourly wage while dead heading back home? When you get home are you in service and available for another load? Is this time charged to the clock?

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
On another thread I started last week I asked about hourly wages.

Most drivers ignore that statistic.

Sitting for unpaid hours that once they are gone, they are gone from our lives. And to give them away for free made no sense to me.

Therefore, about 10 years ago, when the glut of vans and the success of EOL was becoming apparent, I figured out that driving out and back was much more profitable on an hourly basis, not to mention being home most nights sleeping in my own bed, and being closer to my family.

It was the most sensible decision for me, at least.

Just the difference in the cost of the vehicle to drive OAB made much more sense.

Eating healthier and much more inexpensively, sitting out winter storms at home, etc., etc. Being home for the holidays.

I know there are others here who also do the OAB thing (Geo, Ragman, and more) also live this lifestyle. Maybe they can chime in other benefits as well.
You pretty much covered the reasons I do it, that and I live in a good freight area, the last few years I've even cut back on the miles I run, maybe on days I feel good (which are getting fewer) I'll accept a 500+ mile load.

Reactions: Moot

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You pretty much covered the reasons I do it. I have to admit though, it is probably easier for me to do it, as I don't own the truck, and don't have the expenses others have. I also think the deal I have with the truck owner is unique in this industry.

hedgehog

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The clock starts running when I except a delivery from dispatch. It continues to run until the moment I arrive back home.

Because I am at home, I have much more freedom and options than being tethered to my van at some truck stop for sometimes days on end.

I've been expediting since 1997. I've experienced "the expediter life" both ways (staying out for weeks at a time) and since 2006 my bottom line looks like this:

LESS waiting, MORE profit, MORE family life.

And, if I'm in the mood and the price is right, I have done some part-time better paying local courier van jobs with Prestige in between runs.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The clock starts running when I except a delivery from dispatch. It continues to run until the moment I arrive back home.

Because I am at home, I have much more freedom and options than being tethered to my van at some truck stop for sometimes days on end.

I've been expediting since 1997. I've experienced "the expediter life" both ways (staying out for weeks at a time) and since 2006 my bottom line looks like this:

LESS waiting, MORE profit, MORE family life.

And, if I'm in the mood and the price is right, I have done some part-time better paying local courier van jobs with Prestige in between runs.
As long as it works for you. That's what's important.

:happy:

Reactions: scottm4211

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Sitting for unpaid hours that once they are gone, they are gone from our lives.
Those hours are gone whether you're sitting or driving. Hours are hours. Gone is gone.

And to give them away for free made no sense to me.
Who, exactly, are you giving them to?

The answer, of course, is that you're giving them to yourself. They are your hours, do with them whatever you like.

Oh, when I'm at home I have almost no freedom and very few options. When I'm on the road in my van I can do whatever I want whenever I want. :D

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not dispatch's fault but being Canadian the chances of finding close by freight when I drop is almost nil (I can't do US to US). I always return home unless I need to sleep, and calculate the deadhead in before I even go...sometimes I can double up with regular runs, but I have to agree on the quality of life thing. My kids now know who I am and want me home...the wife is a tougher nut to crack tho :D

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
If you spend more than two day's on a run you are losing money
So out and back is best way to this, I do 90 per cent local 5 per cent out of town over night, get rested up and back home
Also call local station to see if something going back
Sometimes you luck out other times not
Try to keep miles round trip to 500, that is why I ask for 1.75 per mile that will pay for unload miles, and hotel room to
For every over night , you can write off

ohiomike08

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've done the "out and back" thing for several years, and I'll never go back to staying out for weeks at a time. I like sleeping in my own bed, and being with family most every night.

If you;ve been out doing the OTR thing for any length of time, it's difficult to see how someone might make any profit, driving all of that deadhead to get back home, but when you start looking at the big picture, it makes sense.

Just my 2 cents...

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I guess it depends on your situation. I know I have considered the out and back thing before, especially when slow. But I don't see any reason for me to add that much DH at this time. The van only has so many miles it can run. And frankly for me, being home is just a free motel. Well not really, it cost me more to be home then on the road.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

hedgehog

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The point being, sitting for hours/days waiting for a load that may only pay enough to get you to "a better area" you make zero money.

On the other hand, if you do the OAB you can spend those hours pretty much however you want and within your means.

I.E., Look for a better job, sell the Espar you no longer need, go to the A-Team's sauna, etc., etc.

As far as the "dedhed" is concerned, you make sure that the total pay for the run includes the dedhed return. And not having to take a $0.55 per mile move.

I used to run your way, Turtle. You have not tried the OAB so maybe you're not understanding or would be just as happy to continue the status quo.

Either way, it works for some of us. Just my experience and humble opinion.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You have not tried the OAB so maybe you're not understanding or would be just as happy to continue the status quo.
No, I understand just fine. Let's pretend I live in Key West, Florida. Do you think OAB will work well for me?

I live in Murray, KY, so I have to go OUT just to get a load in the first place. There's no point in me running a load from, say, Hopkinsville to Chicago, and then immediately turning around and going back. Back to where? Hopkinsville? I don't live there. I'd have to stay in the van if I did that. I can stay in Chicago and do that. Then I get a load from Chicago to Detroit. What should I do them? Go back to Chicago? Hopkinsville? Murray? I don't think so.

If I get a load from Detroit to West Buttcrack, Wyoming, no, I'm not gonna sit there for days and days, but I'm not gonna deadhead all the way back to Detroit, either, no matter what it pays.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Key West FL do expediters actually reside there?!?!?! bahahaha thats some serious deadhead. I'd say its the equivalent of living in Denver CO.

Minimal deadhead for me folks. 200-300. If you end up in a bad area cut your losses and take a vacation or hope that you have friends in the 300-500 mile radius. Factor the deadhead into the load 50 percent miles paid back seems to be the best business minded decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Key West FL do expediters actually reside there?!?!?! bahahaha thats some serious deadhead. I'd say its the equivalent of living in Denver CO.
I know one that lives in Marathon Key, which is about half way between Key Largo and Key West. There are cargo van expediters living in Ft Lauderdale, Alaska, Seattle, Denver, and even Bison friggin' South Dakota, for cryin' out loud. But they don't do OAB, either.

I once took a load from Indianapolis to Spokane. I didn't take it for standard pay, it paid more than enough to deadhead back to wherever I wanted to go. If it paid standard pay, I wouldn't have taken it, just like I won't take one to Laredo for standard pay. After delivering in Spokane I slept a day, then started trolling back towards Minneapolis. I got as far as Billings before getting a load.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'd love to be able to do OAB again like when I was in Canada....this living in a van really sucks....and it does have an expense as well that must be added in....not only a financial expense either....a quality of life cost as well...which the value of, to the person its costing...
been trying OAB between rivers....the Missouri and Ole Miss...:)