Opportunities in west end of Virginia?

fistfullofnails

New Recruit
Researching
When looking at job listings in this area, I cannot seem to find any carriers that have cargo vans or short trucks. It all seems to be tractor-trailer offerings. I probably wouldn't look too promising from a major carrier's POV anyways, being as I'm only looking to do it as an off and on job for now. The problem being, is that we have a few animals here that my wife would only be willing to solely take care of for a couple days a week. I can't really stay out for say a week straight. I drove a tractor trailer OTR for 7 months and it was some of the most fun I've had in my life. Unfortunately, I had to turn down ONE load to get back home for an emergency. That one load I refused got me fired. I then drove a beer truck for about 12 years until forty when my body said it had enough of lifting beer all day long. If anyone has any connections or knows of a way I could get into this business to learn the ropes, I would appreciate it. I'm hoping that if I can get the old lady accustomed to me being gone maybe a few days a week and realizing the animals can mainly take care of themselves, that I can start dedicating more time to the lifestyle. I'm in the process of reading the forums a year back, so if I run across a discussion of this, I apologize for wasting your time.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Expedite really isn't local, or part time, unless you live in some place like Detroit where there are a lot of short (less than 100 miles) runs. There are expedite loads that go into and out of western Virginia, but they 3aren't local. You can get a load out of Roanoke, but it goes to Saginaw, MI or Dallas, TX or Milford, CT. From there the next load could take you to Kansas City, or Laredo or Indianapolis or Cleveland. Where the next load after that goes, throw a dart at a map.

Except in rare circumstances, like in southeast Michigan, it running mostly expedited air freight, expediting is OTR trucking, and doesn't lend itself well at all to just working a couple of days a week.

Reactions: Grizzly

fistfullofnails

New Recruit
Researching
Yea, I understand the part about it could take me anywhere. I was hoping someone might know any companies or individuals I could speak to in person nearby, so that they could get an idea of what kind of person I was. Then maybe let me do a load for them every now and then so that they could make some money and get some home time. In other words, if they lived somewhat close to here, I could run a load for them and return to their place with the van/straight truck/ etc.