Opinions Please

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
This is purely spectulative at this point. IF a Straight truck could average 1800 paid miles a week with 400 DH as a solo. What's wrong with the following figures? 2200 miles total @ 8.5 MPG = $1010.00 for fuel @ $3.90 per gallon. 1800 paid miles @ $1.55 per mile = $2,790. Which leaves $1,780. 60% of $1,780.00 is $1,068.00 for maintence, Insurance, unseen extras. Leaving $712.00 for the O\O. Any and all comments are welcome.
Thanks in advance.
P.S.
On a five day week it allows 440 miles a day in a 11 hour driving window.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
This last year our total operating expenses with no truck payment was $.70 per mile. A little higher than expected but we had to DH home a few times do to family emergencies. Should have been around $.65.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Figure it again at 1500 loaded on $4.50 fuel at 8mpg and see what you think of the numbers. Always figure the income side lower than you expect and the expense side higher than you expect by 10-15%. If the numbers are acceptable in those circumstances then put it on the maybe yes side of the ledger. If those numbers don't work put it on the maybe no side. Then do a lot more thinking.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Unless on a dedicated run, will a solo get 1800 miles per week, consistently ?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Unless on a dedicated run, will a solo get 1800 miles per week, consistently ?

I wouldn't bet a truck payment [or anything important] on it. It's not a reasonable figure for a solo s/t, IMO. Maybe 1200-1500, but even that can get thrown off by a few slow weeks, or repairs.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
I was able to run 2200 to 2600 a week consistently last year, even broke into the 3100 a week four time, only had a couple bad weeks due to personal business, I'm wondering why 12 to 1500 is all you guys are averaging??

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
it would be more doable if the 1.55 was an all miles figure. when the dh is added in it drops the rate quite a bit, all the way down to 1.268 per mile. is there any dh pay that will be paid on the empty miles to help the rate out ? you should be at a minimum of 1.50 for all miles.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A buck and a half all miles would be great, but may be tough to get for a solo. I do get some long runs, but not enough to keep the deadhead low enough to hit that number.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you're getting shorter runs, you'll generally be running a higher number of loads, giving you more opportunity to have empty miles.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
a 1.50 all miles is all miles, loaded and empty. the number of loads you do or the dh associated with each make no difference.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's a good number, and I can sometimes hit that on some loads. But, it's just not a number I can get at the end of the year looking at overall numbers. Some of that is my personal situation, living in a poor freight area. I spend some money to go home and get back to the freight.

I'll stick with the idea that having as low a DH ratio as you can will help you get a good number.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Our all miles rate (odometer) this year was $1.41. It should have and would have been higher except we switched carriers (from Landstar back to FedEx) and had to DH home multiple times this year. Also my wife had to take a couple of months off due to a death in the family. Had we not had so much personal DH and time off I think we would have come out around $1.46 to $1.48 all odometer miles.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Many thanks to all who have replied. In the latest issue of Expedite Now there are 5 companines that post a Straight truck rate. NONE say anything about the rate being for a team. The rates are as follows $1.60, $1.64, $1.60, $1.50, $1.20. two of The Adds give an average weekly mileage.The weekly averages given are just a hair over 2000 miles. I,m just trying to get an idea if 60% after fuel will cover overhead.
Thanks again.