Opinions on driver cams and what companies require them

mforrester62

New Recruit
Driver
Looking for opinions on this subject and maybe a few companies that require them and why?

Is it necessary? is it asking too much to put a camera in the truck folks live in? Just a thought.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Pointing forward? I would have no problem with that. As a matter of fact, I have one. Very helpful. My dad got in an accident a few years back because someone ran the red light and pulled in front of him. The guy said that my dad ran the red light and the cop sided with him. Totaled his truck, lost his job, lost a few months dealing with the insurance company, finding another truck and another company to lease on. If he had a dash cam the whole thing would have turned up completely different.

Pointing at the driver? Not a chance in my truck. I would change companies in a heart beat if they required one.

mforrester62

New Recruit
Driver
See your point 100%. I agree pointing forward on the roadway is totally acceptable. No mic on the camera as in my truck, it will be my wife and myself and at times, there may be some private conversations that I would not want others to hear.

By the way. Wife passed all her tests with flying colors and now has her CDL permit... Going it two weeks to do skills test for CDL-B She is rocking it! Also, may have found an O/O to drive for that is on FedEx CC lease. I hope that will be a good choice. Is FedEx CC good to do?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I think for expediting, driver-facing cameras are a bit much. And out of the question for an owner/operator.

I can understand it for large truck fleets in general trucking, like Schneider, Swift, etc. But even in those large fleets, since the cameras are, you know, a training and driver modification aid, after you've been with a company for a year or two without any problems, the camera should be removed, just out of politeness and civility.