"Open door policy"?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In theory it means you can talk face-to-face with management.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
RE:

I think that is a "Moot" point. LOL :D

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Sacred cows make the best burgers

"So tell me, are those cookies made with real Girl Scouts?"

Sometimes the squeaky wheel doesn't get the grease, it just gets replaced

You can't tell a book by its movie

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!

http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

greg334

Veteran Expediter
RE:

HEHE Lawrence made a funny,

Seriously

The long and short of it is the concept of an open door policy is simply to allow employees, not contractors to have a means to address problems or concerns.

The thing is I find any ‘open door policy’ for contrators rather an odd thing to have and to say to a contractor. I mean that being a contractor; essentially are there to do a job with a specific purpose, hence a contractor should not have (but could) to talk to anyone except people in the business line (i.e. contractor relations person to their supervisor to the manager of the department) to resolve issues but on the other hand, a contractor could pretty much talk to anyone in the company without restrictions or threat of termination.

But with all that said, as confusion as I made it out to be, there is another factor that restricts the use of an open door policy with contractors Coming from a BIG business with a lot of bureaucratic people at all levels; it is normally not to apply employee policies (open door policies are employee policies) to contractors to limit problems with contractors demanding to become employees. Example is if I decide to have someone drive my van, there are some things I can’t do; I can’t send the person to school for their CDL, I can’t give them benefits and I can’t train them in anything that is not unique to my van or the company I am leased to. I know that some will say otherwise, but I know two cases where the court ruled that contractors who even received (in one case) a gift is now an employee regardless what their contract said.

I had a few contractors when I was part owner of a consulting firm that would call me in the middle of the night to b***h at me about an employee or a problem. I told them to do so, but never said anything about an open door policy. I did tell the employees to call me without fear for the same reasons and had calls all times of day and night. As a part owner, I felt it was my responsibility to make sure everyone worked to their best ability.