only crap loads the last 2 weeks with panther

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
only have had small crap loads with panther the last 2 weeks, however been on the phone with them twice where they offer nice loads, all of a sudden they say, load has cancelled..personally i dont believe a bit of it....just my 2 cents worth

targuard86

Expert Expediter
What do you think happened to the loads? Do you not think that if their was some grand conspiracy to keep you from getting good loads that they would take 30 extra seconds and see who they actually wanted to give the load to and not even call you?

Loads cancel, that’s just the way it is. Many times companies will call a large but expensive expediting company to confirm they can move the freight then, knowing they have a back-up, start trying to move it cheaper. I'm not going to debate if that’s right or wrong but it happens.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Maybe you should consider a different organization.

If you are a C or D unit owner/operator drop me an email.

Vanterprise

Expert Expediter
You are not the only one , it happend to me too.It is strange because nobody complains about the business with Panther these days.Its almost april and is very very slow.Maybe only for the one van owner , fleet owners might have "connections". ??? !!!You get a 100 miles load and then you wait another 3 days for a load, when you refuse the load they are asking you why???????

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
i guess i should have rephrased it above, if you have ever read my previous posts you would see that i post the great miles i get per week when i get them, so i decided, since ive posted the best and glorified it, that i would post the crapp along with it....

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Panther has been pretty busy for us with a few slow spots in certain areas. If you are consistently slow I would guess you are in a van.
Not alot of van freight out there right now.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

younglobo

Expert Expediter
Seems slow for everyone lately , I dispatch and drive for my Co. and by looking at web sites and emails ect. I know alot of companies are geting the same load from 1 shipper said shipper then uses the companie that jumps first or is the cheapest and that is why loads get canceled just the nature of the beast happent to me 2 times yesterday alone.They all know it is our slow period of the year and they are taking advantage simple supply vs. demand.

garman351

Expert Expediter
Keep in mind working with Panther as we have discovered, July is a slow month, January & February are very slow and you need to stock pile your money for when Dec-20th hits until March first you will do more deadheading and reduced runs and more lost time than what it is worth!

Every Company has business cycles that is just the way it is. The trick is to know ahead of time when that happens.

Also it will take a new driver or team a great deal of time to discover where to go and not to go to be stuck in a area that you will sit for day's only to discover you should of deadheaded out of there days before. Also before excepting an load offer how much is it going to cost out of your pocket & time to move into a good area.

Our team has been very busy with a lot of good runs since March-1st.
And we are not related or have any inside connections to anybody inside of Panther. Also keep in mind with the 50% buy out from Panther I have heard you cannot work for Panther and have trucks in the fleet. (No conflict of interest) It's a new policy.

Garman

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
KW Express
o/o till i die

loads do cancel even with the small companies.

whats bad is when they book your truck a week in advance and you hop around on short runs all week to stay in the general area for that big one and they dont call you till the day of the pick up to cancel.

it happens on both sides of the fence just stick around it gets better.

I have noticed con-way cargo van loads picking up a bit.
but most of them over the last week have also been short hops

and the comment about fleet owners having contacts.
why do you think they have them?because they ride out the good and the bad

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
In the Metro Detroit area i have noticed a few trucks that have been siting up in parking lots and such for a few days. The main 2 that i see sitting for extended periods of time is Express-1 and Panther-II.

bryan

Veteran Expediter
HI
Thanks Honda for posting that. It gives newbees a truer understanding of the business.It also helps the guys who are sitting because then they are not second guessing themselfs."am I in the wrong area,did I make somebody mad,or my favorite one is they just don't like me and their loading around me.Nope the truth is some months are money makers and some months are back breakers.

You just have to budget for these ups and downs.These slow months can be a blessing if you have planned for them.Gives me a chance to catch up with all that stuff I postponed because it was busy.(taxes, homerepairs,and spring cleaning)So hang tough it will get better or at least it always has in the past.Good luck everybody!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
>In the Metro Detroit area i have noticed a few trucks that
>have been siting up in parking lots and such for a few days.
>The main 2 that i see sitting for extended periods of time
>is Express-1 and Panther-II.

I talked with some of these guys and they are like 20th and 25th!!!
We're in ILL. and run 2 P2's(conracted out) in a row now...seems everyone is over in Detroit!!!

babs3361

Expert Expediter
Yes it is the season for slow. As said before you have to plan for this time of year. Sometimes you will talk to a driver and they are running there butt off, the reason for this is most likley that they were in the right place at the right time. We have been there too. So if you are new hang in there it will get better and plan for July, and next Jan, Feb, and March.:-( :) ;-) :D

pantherii

Expert Expediter
Its been pretty busy for us, were in a straight truck
2 weeks ago we had 3100 loaded miles
last week was 2500
and so far this week we have 2700

creekindian33

Expert Expediter
thats panther for u if u r new thell treat u like a king for abought 3 mns if u have more then 5 trucks they treat u farly decent but if u only have one u better get out now there r to many smaller companies out there that will trat u much better everybody has there slow times but panther has been the worst in favortism plus there dispatch only care abought themselves i moved all my trucks last year an \dont regreat the move good luck:+

creekindian33

Expert Expediter
it is true diferent months pay better i still think an know panther is abought favortism an the fact they sighn on to many trucks first quarter of the year is slow for some like panther i made no less after fuel 5 thous per week the last two weeks of jan first week of feb the rest between 2.5 to 4.5 so its slow for panther i have a truck whith three difernt companies none of them has slowed dowen check around the grass is usaly never greener on the other side unless ur sighn on whith panther p s fed x had record breaking profit last year thats not because there trucks r sitting around fed x r just a big as a holes as panther an dispatch but if ur going to have to put up whith bull sh***** u mi as well get paid an panther is not itx(

ftp000

Expert Expediter
We will be at 3700 paid miles by the time we deliver in OK tomorrow night. thats a complete 7 day week, our first week in a van. We have moved ourself a few times and probably have about 800 miles of deadhead (on top of the 3700). But with the great mpg on the sprinter there's no reason to sit on a bad board, 800 miles = about 40 gallons of fuel, a small price to pay to keep moving.

since monday..... charlotte to ontario, detroit to pensacola, pensacola to miami, we dead headed home to SC figuring we were done for the week then got a call for a load that we'll be picking up at 8 outside of charlotte going to OK.

Our grass in the van with a small company is way greener so far than it was in the straight truck with panther......gotta gooooo