Online backup

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't, but I do use an external hard drive for backup, and whenever I'm home I have stuff backed up to a flash memory stick that I leave at home. I don't use online backups because of the capped bandwidth on the aircard, with one exception: I have an e-mail server in Norway that I use for certain things, and I have 10 GB of storage space on there which I place some of the more critical files. I encrypt the folders containing the critical files, and FTP them that way. I end up with a local backup, one at home, and one online, of the most important files.

If you are using free and or unsecured WiFi (or even the 3G/4G aircard) there's a good chance your data can be intercepted, so there's that you have to be aware of. If you use online backups with a bandwidth capped ISP, make sure you are only backing up the data files you need to be backing up, and not megabytes and megabytes of stuff like pictures, installation and system files. Mainly, "My Documents", excluding "My Pictures" and "My Videos", unless you really need those backed up, too.

Here's a good comparison of the online services. If I were to use one, it would be SOS.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
First, be wary of any product that starts out with "MyPC".

Second, MyPC Backup has less-than stellar reviews by independent reviewers. Most call it a scam, actually. Read the first few user-reviews here here if you have any questions. :D

Sorry for leaving out the link of the comparisons in the post above. I added it now.

Truly, the only ones worth using are listed in those comparisons, the more full red dots the better.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
First, be wary of any product that starts out with "MyPC".

Second, MyPC Backup has less-than stellar reviews by independent reviewers. Most call it a scam, actually. Read the first few user-reviews here here if you have any questions. :D

Sorry for leaving out the link of the comparisons in the post above. I added it now.

Truly, the only ones worth using are listed in those comparisons, the more full red dots the better.

Thanks for the input. We have decided not to use a cloud based back up on this machine. I will go with the external drive when home. Nothing of real value on this computer.

jmlaber

Seasoned Expediter
I use Sugarsync. It is installed on both my laptop and my home desktop. It backs up my important files on both computers to the cloud and keeps the files on both computers in sync. You get 5gb of storage for free, or can buy more. Like someone else said, be careful of data caps if you use cloud storage, especially if you use an air card, those usually only allow 5gb of total bandwidth per month.

robh2

Veteran Expediter
I like Idrive. I have the family plan and its just under 15.00 month. I can back up as many computers with different operating systems as I like up to 500 gig. Has saved me before. Nice to not have to worry.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I like Idrive. I have the family plan and its just under 15.00 month. I can back up as many computers with different operating systems as I like up to 500 gig. Has saved me before. Nice to not have to worry.

Thanks, will look into it.