One upper

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
Why do some people feel the need to be one up on the people around them? These people seem to feed on making a situation much harder than it has to be or they try and make themselves look like they have more than others, is it hard for some people to admit they don't know something or that there life is ordinary? Its aggravating when a person bends things so far out of shape and then play the victim! I guess this is a form of social politics that I fail to understand!

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Why do some people feel the need to be one up on the people around them? These people seem to feed on making a situation much harder than it has to be or they try and make themselves look like they have more than others, is it hard for some people to admit they don't know something or that there life is ordinary? Its aggravating when a person bends things so far out of shape and then play the victim! I guess this is a form of social politics that I fail to understand!

Moved your post to a more relevant forum.

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Not sure what specific thing your talking about here?

Some people try to regain control, when they've lost it somewhere else. Example.....

Had a female shipper get very obstinate one morning during an unload at consignee. Had 7 containers, all the same size, taking up 120" of cargo area. First, she would not let me back up to the ramp. Instead, I was stuck by the shipping door, several meters away where she insisted I must be unloaded. Huh? Since when? I let it go.

She then proceeded to unload one box at a time, run it all the way around, up the ramp and into the building. Having run a shipping dept before, and being a very adequate fork truck driver, I knew (as did she) that the forks will easily carry two of these at a time.

She then got upset when upon her return to the van.....I had the straps ready to pull the next one off. "You in some kind of a hurry" she says. Sigh....I let it go with a nice response.

On the last pallet to be unloaded, I hear her running stuff onto a TT backed up to the dock. I go inside where there appears another shipping person, and asked if he thought she knew there was one pallet left to be unloaded. He then provides a clue to the whole thing. (I will not relate that here).

Upon finally pulling the last pallet, I asked her to sign the BOL. She says "Don't you dare shove that clipboard and pen in my face, you've been a jerk to me since you arrived" The banter continued until I finally told her she was not going to get away with talking to me in this manner.

What took place here? This person had lost control somewhere else. To arrive back at even, or to not lose any more ground...in her mind, she must control this unload. Eventually, I put a stop to the abusive manner in which she directed the conversation, all the while she got what she wanted. She played the victim, but it was totally unrelated in cause.

The other 50% of the time (it's my guess) people are just power hungry and that I won't tolerate from the get go. The key is understanding quick....which one it is. Sometimes you let it ride, sometimes it needs confronting. IMV

Last edited:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I'm not sure which is worse, the people that lie to make themselves sound better to get attention or the ones that act like a small thing is some huge deal to get attention.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
I'm not sure which is worse, the people that lie to make themselves sound better to get attention or the ones that act like a small thing is some huge deal to get attention.

Double edged sword sir, but IMHO its the liars to get more attention that are the most problematic! You call them on there lie and they get defensive and hostile, they sell themselves on there lies and they always feel the need to be the correct party in every scenario, belligerent is there way of life and that in and of itself is trouble evetime :confused:

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter

How about those that do both? I've seen it happen!