On the road with Tri-State

Videodrome

Seasoned Expediter
From what I've heard Tri-State is considered average or at least okay for a beginner. I'm starting out driving a Cargo Van for a fleet owner.

So far I've just finished orientation and did 1 decent load from Indiana to Lancaster, PA and now I'm sitting out in Carlisle, PA. Sitting is a part of most driving jobs but I just wondered if I could be looking around on Load Boards.

In the meantime I have my laptop and a few books and fortunately the nights in Pennsylvania have been nice and cool.

Otherwise I was wondering what kinds of places most Cargo Van drivers park at. I was at the Petro but haven't seen anything that great in the movie room. I was thinking of looking for a Cinema or a Walmart.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I would suggest for just starting out always try and save your money.:rolleyes: Don't go looking for ways to spend it. While your sitting try a used Book Store. Readings a lot less expensive then movies.

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
Yea Cinema's are expensive, especially if you get a load 30 minutes into the movie. I rent redbox movies, watch netflix, I also go to the libraries quite a bit for free access to the internet. I spend time in McDonald's parking lots, I usually go in and spend $1 on a drink or something. Then I park in a spot where I can still access the free wifi.

I also like to find state parks or beaches to go swimming at.

Videodrome

Seasoned Expediter
Lol I would like to catch a matinee(maybe Transformers 3), but I wasn't looking to spend to much money at Walmart or even at a mall. Maybe browse some or do some walking in the nice air conditioning.

I also considered finding a hotel lobby and just hanging out in their lounge with my laptop or a book without checking in.

I guess I was just looking for comfortable places to pass the time other then truck stops but while also getting out of the hot van during the day. The local library is a good suggestion.

Last edited:

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
Yea I use to spend a lot of time at MickyD's for the internet but the library is great, its free 95% of the time and its a great local resource for other places to visit.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Yea I use to spend a lot of time at MickyD's for the internet but the library is great, its free 95% of the time and its a great local resource for other places to visit.

And there are usually fewer screaming children

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
From what I've heard Tri-State is considered average or at least okay for a beginner. I'm starting out driving a Cargo Van for a fleet owner.

So far I've just finished orientation and did 1 decent load from Indiana to Lancaster, PA and now I'm sitting out in Carlisle, PA. Sitting is a part of most driving jobs but I just wondered if I could be looking around on Load Boards.

In the meantime I have my laptop and a few books and fortunately the nights in Pennsylvania have been nice and cool.

Otherwise I was wondering what kinds of places most Cargo Van drivers park at. I was at the Petro but haven't seen anything that great in the movie room. I was thinking of looking for a Cinema or a Walmart.

When you have the money entertaining yourself on the road is a biggy for staying sane.
Cimena now available at Best Buy. Stream through your computer via a host site. Verizon etc.
Another is Netflix through your computer. Probably the cheapest. The best buy has everything the day it comes out. Something new.
If your set up for it Camp grounds are good. It's adviseable to have food and equipment because you are tech/camping. But showers and all are available for less than truckstops. You don't have to worry about having points to wash with.

txstar

Seasoned Expediter
hi txstar here i like tri state its like every where else its all the same whoever you go with just saying im not going anywhere oh by the way if u know of any one with tristate that has a 09 or newer sprinter van to do a lease purchase let us know ty and god bless :)

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
tstate is not like everywhere else. all carriers are different and some pay much better than others. areas they operate in can vary also.

Jumbuck

Seasoned Expediter
I go to orientation with Tri-State monday. How long does it take? Can you tell me what all it entails. Do you like Tri-State? Anything you can help with will, uh...help!