??? on air bags, air brakes. air seat.

john11139

Rookie Expediter
If you was buying a truck under 26K gvw. Both trucks bring equal, but one had air brakes, air bags and air seat, and one did not, how much more should one with those options be worth? Also should the air valve be dumped when sitting over night?.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
No need to dump air, but do drain tanks once a week at least,
Once you drive an air ride truck you'll never again want to even move a springer across the lot!

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I wouldn't be afraid to pay several grand more for an air ride truck, the savings on back surgery alone would pay it back.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Grease things at reasonable intervals.
Keep air system clean by draining tanks and servicing air drier, if equipped, once per year.

john11139

Rookie Expediter
On primary and secondary tanks there is a valve on each one to just twist it and the tanks drain but on the secondary tank there is another valve at the bottom that has a cable attached to it and when I pulled the cable about a half spoon of black oil came out of it, no air come out of this valve, is it plugged.?

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I agree with Paul,,Air ride is worth its weight in Gold. Beside being easier on your body and the truck itself. Without it it very well could cost you a load. I imagine any shipper knowing what they are doing will not load you with windsheilds,,fine wine glasses,,etc etc..It just may save you a claim against your truck.. When I first started doing this the carrier was paying extra for a load that required air ride but Im not seeing it anymore. But then again Im barely seeing any more money for airfreight loads either..
As far as your drain valve, the pull cables with have a slight tendency to not drain completely as a standard petcock valve. I cant remeber what the temps where on the 1st of Jan when you posted but if it was below freezing there is a chance any water in there froze when you pulled the cable .. Best to remove the drain valve every so often and let the tanks drain over night while parked on a level surface. You dont need to do this weekly. I try to do this once a year or so, I do it hoping it will allow any oil as you saw to drain out. Never had black oil drip out but admit I never collected it to exam it either.
Im thinking any oil in there should have been kinda creamy looking in color and not black..You sure it wasnt rusty water you saw?
Also as zorry said, service that air dryer..its one of the cheapest maintenance items on the truck.

john11139

Rookie Expediter
How can you tell when a air dryer needs changing? I took mine off and looked at it, couldn't see much. I think a new one costs over $200. It is just a large metal canister. Don't know history of truck.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
They're serviceable.
My last canister was replaced by a dealer and was about $65.
Drain your air tanks. If you're getting moisture, it's time to service.
I do mine annually, every July. One air freeze could cost you way more than a lifetime of proper servicing.

john11139

Rookie Expediter
Why don't they put a drain valve at the bottom of the air tank filter?. Like I said, I just got this truck and know nothing about it's history or maintaince. Was just going over everything, changing oil, oil, filter fuel filters. I have had very little experience in taking care of airbrakes as this I the first one I have owned with air brakes. I drained the air tanks, very little if any moisture came out of them but as you suggested I took the little valve that has a cable out and cleaned it. It has about maybe 1 tea spoon of oil come out. The way this valve works is that you can't open it with any pressure in thank. I then took the drier canister off . Small amount of crud in the bottom. Cleaned t out good and I have no way of knowing if it needs replaced. Checked the price of a new one, over $200. I don't see any way the dryer cartage comes apart.