Okay, so i wanna be a driver!

homebound64

Seasoned Expediter
I wanna be a driver, team with future husband, so I am studying this CDL book, okay, easy enough. I will take the driving test, okay, gotta get the pre-trip down, hardest I hear, but my question is: which owner/operator expediting companies can I drive for (no exp) + future husband (2-3 yrs class A experience) ??? He has experience, I have none, will Panther hire us as a team with me having no experience? If not, can anyone tell me which companies are GOOD and pay good and get good mileage? I am serious with driving! Studying as we speak! Thanks to all who reply! Girl in Greenback, TN gettin ready to burn the pavement up! Watch out, here I come! LOL

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
None of the CARRIERS are going to hire you....the Carriers don't have trucks to hire drivers...they contract to people that have trucks that put drivers in those trucks...

Look here in the classified ads for Owners looking for team drivers, call carriers and ask them what owners they have that are looking for teams....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I will say it again, become flexible in this driving career because it is the only way to survive.

IF your future husband has 2/3 yrs of class A driving, get a class A license.

14Wheeler

Seasoned Expediter
I wanna be a driver, team . He has experience, I have none, will Panther hire us as a team with me having no experience? LOL

Since you're already working on the written and have a Mate who'll coach you thru the states driving test, i'd think you're
off to great start. You'll find its not the carrier that'll stop you from driving certain class's of vehicle, but their insurance company.
In order to even think about driving class A vehicles, you're gonna need year(s) of experience. Most folks get those year(s) driving for one of the X- large haulers that have schools,trainer ride along programs. Your Mate will better explain that part to ya better than anyone else.
That's in no way a road block for you to team in a class B vehicle. Some expedite co's will simply require you to road test with a local 3rd party tester (such as a trucking school)
Once you pass that hurdle, you're then a bonifide driver and off you go.
Starting off as a class B driver in a class B vehicle is just about the only way you're gonna pull off getting into the industry the fastest. Personally, i'd prefer driving straigt trucks versus any type of combo vehicles. The 4 years I spent driving 53 footers led me other adventures but ultimently into a straight truck. Dont let anyone convince you that straight truckers meake a whole lot less than their counterparts in the billybigrigs.....just ain't so. In fact, it's quite possible to earn the same and in. ertain cases more. I can go on about the advantages of driving a straight truck versus combo vehicles but your Man has lived those years on the road and will easily have a list a mile long justifying the advantages. He's prayed 100's of times he'd been in a straight truck and will have some funny and not so funny situations explaining that to you.

Your Mate will be the best guide for your future. He's got the years under his belt and to you.....means everyting. Be selective and investigate which company possibly might work out for the both of you. He'll be able to best wade thru the BS any recruiter will thow his way.

Give it a shot. You'll probably be surprised how easily the introduction to trucking will be with an on-board tutor.

homebound64

Seasoned Expediter
Needing Knox, TN Driving Job!

Hey all you drivers out there, needing some expertise here from YOU! Fiance wants away from current driving (solo) company, they are terrible. Does anyone know where he can go apply, not nec. online, but in person to actually get to talk to someone here in the Knoxville, TN area. We live in Greenback, TN but are close to alot of areas. He is solo, has 2-3 yrs. exp., no driving incidents, and wants out of this bad company. Can anyone give us insight? He has applied online, no one has even called, in fact, I look for jobs online every day, and nothing, I am skeptical in the fact that these could be scams, no real jobs online, but where should he go? Do you work for a good company, exc. pay, benefits, paid time off, paid break down time? If so, please email me, need some insight !!!! Thanks to all of you who do reply, my time is valuable and I know yours is too!

homebound64

Seasoned Expediter
Re: Needing Knox, TN Driving Job!

Hey all you drivers out there, needing some expertise here from YOU! Fiance wants away from current driving (solo) company, they are terrible. Does anyone know where he can go apply, not nec. online, but in person to actually get to talk to someone here in the Knoxville, TN area. We live in Greenback, TN but are close to alot of areas. He is solo, has 2-3 yrs. exp., no driving incidents, and wants out of this bad company. Can anyone give us insight? He has applied online, no one has even called, in fact, I look for jobs online every day, and nothing, I am skeptical in the fact that these could be scams, no real jobs online, but where should he go? Do you work for a good company, exc. pay, benefits, paid time off, paid break down time? If so, please email me, need some insight !!!! Thanks to all of you who do reply, my time is valuable and I know yours is too![/QUOTE]

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Re: Needing Knox, TN Driving Job!

P
Hey all you drivers out there, needing some expertise here from YOU! Fiance wants away from current driving (solo) company, they are terrible. Does anyone know where he can go apply, not nec. online, but in person to actually get to talk to someone here in the Knoxville, TN area. We live in Greenback, TN but are close to alot of areas. He is solo, has 2-3 yrs. exp., no driving incidents, and wants out of this bad company. Can anyone give us insight? He has applied online, no one has even called, in fact, I look for jobs online every day, and nothing, I am skeptical in the fact that these could be scams, no real jobs online, but where should he go? Do you work for a good company, exc. pay, benefits, paid time off, paid break down time? If so, please email me, need some insight !!!! Thanks to all of you who do reply, my time is valuable and I know yours is too!
[/QUOTE]
I responded to the same post elsewhere -
please refrain from posting the same thing in several forums/threads - it makes keeping up with replies difficult.