ok iam a rookie

cajunbuckeye

Seasoned Expediter
being a want a be , sprinter or 6 wheeler, i have spent the last 28 months as a short haul , otr for a major company of big trucks, 53' i have decided to become an expeditor ?

i have a few questions if anyone can answer 1 how many miles can you get on a sprinter before a major over haul is to be done?

and is there money to be made having your own truck and attorhority , seeking answers good n bad

cajunbuckeye

Seasoned Expediter
OK Where do I start

i have been driving big trucks for the past 28 months 53' conv / day cabs. there are to many super trucker's for me on the road i spent $8,000 financed my class A. and now want to change iam looking to become an O/O. where can i find out the in and outs of what you proffesional lil truck drivers do, with all respect!!

iam 52 yrs ole and aint getting any younger, should i just stay running short haul making 52,000 a yr or go for broke ?

i average $175.00 to $300.00 a day running parshibles out of delware ohio. and be unhappy, thankyou for your time

Cajun Buck:confused:eye

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
I read another post you had made and it indicated that you made $52,000 driving a day cab tractor.

It would be almost mathmatically impossible to clear that much in a Sprinter. Most drivers pay the truck 60% and themselves only 40%. If you could average 100,000 paid miles per year (I don't see that happening in the current market) and you could average a $1.00 per mile, expect about $40,000 per year in a perfect world.

I can't imagine anyone taking a $12,000 per year cut in pay. Moreover, I would imagine that you have some health care and/or retirement benefits at your place of employment.

Seems like an awful lot to give up. You may want to wait and see if available freight offers increase over the next few months.

There are plenty of hard-working guys and gals out here, but a great work ethic can not always overcome the market forces; especially for a rookie because there will be a learning curve and that period of time can seriously deplete your cash reserves.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
And, Chappy, maybe you forgot to mention that for many the "learning curve" never ends.
And for an equal number they only THINKS it ends, after THEY get it all figgured out.

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
Hmmm, driving local and making btwn. 175 and 300 a day and being home in your own bed everynight, sounds pretty sweet to me.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I hope I don't come across wrong, but I have a feeling there may be some people here who might like to apply for that job and get on the list before you quit. Sounds like you got a pretty good gig.

cajunbuckeye

Seasoned Expediter
thanks and this is a true , statement i drive for krogers foods , out of delware ohio my carrier is usxpress, i have been there a yr iam making the money home evernight, and off 2 days a week , i make .49 cents on the mile and stop pay my employee number is 461781 and if you live within 50 miles of delware , ohio come join us.

cajunbuckeye

Seasoned Expediter
like i said , thankyou for helping make up my mind, this statment is very true, i make .49 cents per mile and average 350 - 450 in miles a day , iam home every night unless i get a very large load. anything over 600 miles then if iam not in a sleeper then company places me in a motel. i work for usxpress i haul grocery out of delware ohio, its a easy job just has alot of bull

but the money is dang good, so if any of you live within 50 miles of delaware , ohio feel free to come join our team. all you need is 2 yrs experience in otr big truck and a class A. you all have made my decision for me and i thankyou all for your honestly. again thankyou i guess i'll stay and we have plenty of openings, until the middle of march, bless you all 461781

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
No thank you . U.S. Xpress is one of those cut throat companies that put the union drivers that used to haul for Kroger out of work . Of course with WalMart cutting the throats of grocery chains Kroger has to do what they have to do . WalMart is also using Schneider as their needs grow rather than add more of their own drivers . I've already posted other issues with USX elsewhere . Not repeating them . Looks like somebody wasn't really interested in expediting , just trying to get a bonus for recruiting drivers .

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Wal Mart uses more compnies than just Schneider. When I was driving for Larry Fowler Trucking we did drop and hooks fr wal mart all the time.