Mechanical oil

Rm0311

Rookie Expediter
2006 Dodge Sprinter T1N with 2.7 Liter: Is Rotella T6 syn. an acceptable oil for use in this engine.
20007 -20012: does this engine require a low ash oil because of the DPF. Will a low ash oil keep the DPF from being fouled. If so, what low ash oil is recommended?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can't answer about pretty 07. 07 and after should have a rating of 229.51. You absolutely want low ash oil! Nothing will stop the dpf from fouling but you can slow it down. Proper oil, no idling and such can prolong the period until you have a clogged filter.

ysracer

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
T1N does not have DPF. No need for low ash oil. Rotella T6 does not claim compliance with the Mercedes specification for the 2.7 litre engine but, is a very good oil that many people use without issue. Same can be said for the white bottle non-synthetic Rotella. That, however, is a 15W-40 viscosity so there may be cause for concern at extremely low temperatures.

Reactions: NorthernBill

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Rotella T6 does not claim compliance with the Mercedes specification for the 2.7 litre engine but, is a very good oil that many people use without issue. Same can be said for the white bottle non-synthetic Rotella.
What does "without issue" mean? Does that mean you pour the oil into the engine and the engine doesn't blow up? You can use whatever oil you want in an engine, and you will do so "without issue" until one day, suddenly, you find yourself, you know, "with issue."

The Sprinter T1N engine requires a MB approved 228.3, 228.5, 229.3, 229.5,oil.
The next level oils of 228.51, 229.31, 229.51 or 229.52 are also recommended and approved for use in T1N engines.

Rotella T6 is a 228.31 oil.

Here's what Mercedes says about using Shell Rotella T6 in a T1N engine: "Mercedes-Benz 228.31 engine oil is excluded for approval and use in the Sprinter OM612 and OM647 Direct Injection diesel engines, as we have research to show that the oil on these sheets can have a detrimental effect on the components of the engine."

What they mean by "detrimental effect on the components of the engine" is, it causes a sludge problem (among other things not immediately observable). True enough, you can run an engine with a sludge problem for a long time without any perceived issues, and will naturally believe you are operating it "without issues."

The Rotella T6 228.31 oil is fine for the MY 2007. It is MB approved for the 2007 Sprinters, but for 2008 and up is it not.

For MY 2008 and up MB spec 228.51, 229.31, 229.51 or 229.52 is required.

The more you read and understand the MB specs and what they're for, the more you realize that the specs for MY 2008 and up go far beyond the reasons of the DPF. The main difference between 229.51 and 229.52 (the latest, greatest) is that the latter has more stringent requirements when it comes to oxidation. 229.52 oils are also required to deliver greater fuel economy and must have a lower pour point (-36C / -33F minimum). Having lower oxidation increases the oil change interval, as well,

MB Sheet 223.2 (PDF file) lists the MB spec for service fill engine oils. Find you engine on the left, and the table shows the MB spec engine oil for that engine. For 2002-2003 engines, it's the OM 612. For 2004-2006 it the OM 647. For 2007-2015 it's the OM 642, either with or without the DPF.

For the list of approved oils (and other fluids) for a specific MB spec sheet, the MB VeVo page lists them all.

When it comes to bodily fluids of a Mercedes Benz, always stick to The List.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I try to stay out of the threads about religious subjects, and 'oil' is one of them, but I am replying because my name was mentioned.

I have a 2004 Sprinter with a 2.7 litter engine. Since the first oil change at around 15k miles I have been using 15w40 oil, mostly Mobil Delvac, Shell Rotella or Chevron Delo. All of these oils used to be MB 228.3 certified. One day about 5 years ago I went to Walmart to get some oil for an oil change and I bought 3 gallons. One of them said 228.3 on the back of the jug but the other 2 said 228.31. Everything about the jugs was identical, same label, etc. except the '1'. Eventually all 3 oils changed their certification to 228.31. The only one that changed the label and name was Shell. It used to be named Rotella T, but changed to Rotella Triple Protection, or something like that. Did the formula of the oils changed, or just the labeling? I tried to find the answer but was unsuccessful.

I know that MB says not to use 228.31 oil but I decided to keep using it. Time will tell if I made a mistake or not. But my van now has 749,635 miles, about 400k give or take on an unapproved oil.

I personally haven't used the T6 oil mentioned earlier, but I know a guy that has been using it for many miles successfully. I just wish that this oil would do something about the rust, cause I have a feeling that the rust will be the end of this van, not 228.31 oil.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: greasytshirt

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Did the formula of the oils changed, or just the labeling? I tried to find the answer but was unsuccessful.
The formula changed. Each number has separate API: CI/SM/CF/CH/xCG/SL/SJ/ rating for crossovers between synthetic semi-mineral and Super-Syn and modified mineral-oils using part synthetic suspended molecule technology. 229.3, 229.5, Super-Syn 228.3 and 229.1 are a Mineral H/D

The ACEA: E5/B4//B3/A2 for up to 2006, followed though to A3/.B3./E3.E5./E6 E7 E9

Range mid-SAPS to low-SAPS: the latter crosses over from 2006-7 in the North American Sprinters. SAPS, of course, is Sulphated Ash, Phosphorous, Sulfur, and is often simply referred to as "low ash" oil, but the other stuff matters, too. Mid and high range SAPS will plug a DPF filter (and an EGR valve). 228.31 is low-SAPS.

The T6 is good oil. It meets the following specs: API CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, C4, SM, SL, SH; and an ACEA of E9. But it's MB spec 228.31 oil and is not dual rated. You can certainly get away using 228.31 oil in a T1N, as long as you don't idle much and you don't rely on the ASSYST for oil change intervals, as the ASSYST won't properly read that oil. In addition, the 228.31 oil's ash deposits and NOx emissions do not meet the clean air standards for final CO2 particulate matter in either the Euro 4/5 or the NAFTA EPA/CAFE Bin standards. You'd just want to change the oil every 8,000 to 10,000 miles (if you don't have a used oil analysis done regularly) instead of extending it to 15,000 to 20,000. You'd probably want to change just the oil filter every 5,000 miles or so, as well.

Mobil Delvac and Chevron Delo are both actually dual rated at 228.3 and 228.31 despite not saying that on the bottle. There are a lot of 228.31 oils that are dual rated. Sometimes you have to dig down in the manufacturer's Web site to find that.

Reactions: NorthernBill