Oil Changes

Christyrose

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We needed our 120 day inspection and oil change. We where at the T/A in Ontario, Ca. We found out they no longer handle the inspection but we allowed the oil change, at 149.00 plus tax and epa charge came to 169.00!x( After our load was finished we where heading home anyways, so we called LandStar and they told to go to this place in Toledo for our inspection.

PreTrip, Inc. 6006 Hagman Rd, Toledo, OH (419)726-6006. (I-75 exit 210 Heading north, turn left off the exit, turn right on Hagman Rd. )

The people who work here are extremely honest. Their prices are for full service $105.95 and just for an oil and lube only $82.95. This is a lot less then Speedco or any of the truckstops. If we could have just waited for the PM to be done we have saved some big money here.:(

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I use SpeedCo a lot because you can get in and out usually in 30 minutes.The best place I have ever found to get a PM job done is the TA Truckstop on I 80 about 20 miles west of Salt Lake City,Utah.If you ever go there ask for ROBERT to do the work.He even jacks up the front of the truck to take the weight off the kingpins to lube them. The TA manager told me truckers drive 2-300 miles out of their way just to have him service the truck and they also call to check his work schedule.The guy is an ex Navy man and really cares and knows his stuff..

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Was that Ontario Canada or City of Ontario, California? What a rip off either way!
Must be all EPA charges! Then they take your used oil and use it for making asphalt.. They should pay YOU for it.
I am fortunate enough to be able to do my own PM's, but still, I can't find any way for an oil and filter change to cost that much.
I would have bitched that place right up a tree! Please tell us who they were so nobody ever goes to Mr. Rip Off again.

gingerbreadman

Expert Expediter
speedco no longer has my business. just pulled in for an oil change nothing else, no lube nothing, just oil. 125.00. i asked how much with the lube she told me same price. i was a little upset.;-)

Christyrose

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
That was the T/A in Ontario, CA. I agree with you about being ripped off.

If you get a chance and your in the Toledo or Detroit area, give PreTrip a call at (419)726-6006 and ask for Terry. This was the guy that work with me. He will be able to answer questions about cost on items. They do more then just oil changes.

It seems to me, when you go into Speedco or any of the truck stops they are charging us for what it cost for the big trucks. There should be a difference in cost.

mikecop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have been using Pretrip in Toledo for nearly 4 years. They do a good job at a reasonable price. Terry & Al, the partner owners, told me the last time I was in that they had to reduce their hours because business has declined with the economy being down. They used to be open 24 hrs except Saturday night and Sunday. They are certified to do the annual inspections. When you are in there, if you want to get Al really going, just mention experiences with auto workers and their attitudes!!

These guys are easy to find--about a quarter mile north of the Speedway Truckstop off Alexis Rd, just west of I-75. I highly recommend them.

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
What 120 day inspection?? You mentioned that you stopped for your 120 day inspection. Can you explain what that is all about?
Thanks.

Christyrose

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
LandStar requires all trucks signed on with them to have a 120 day inspection. If you do not meet this requirement your truck is placed out of service till they receive a copy or fax that states your truck passed a certified inspection. If anything is found wrong with your truck during this inspection, it needs to be taken care of before the inspection is certified. LandStar pays for this inspection.

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I stopped by Pre-Trip for an oil change. Total was $88.13 (w/tax) for 30 quarts + lube. I was in and out in half an hour.
Open 7AM - 11PM MON - FRI
7AM - 3PM SAT.

G

Chalk up one more vote for Pre Trip in Toledo.. We stopped in for the first time last week and will go back next time. Stopped just before 1o:00 PM and guys did a fantastic job in a half hour. They even greased the landing gear (a first).

I used to be a mechanic myself (30 years), so you can't pull the wool over my eyes too easily. These guys were great!! And much less that the dealerships charge. I normally do my own PM, but right now it's too cold to work in the back yard.

I agree that T/A's as a whole have gotten way to pricey for us. We stick to the no-name Ma & Pa truck stops as much as we can. When we used to go to Lordstown, we'd stop at The Short Stop in Leavittsburg OH, another place with a super repair shop and good chow to boot.

BOBBYSGIRL

Expert Expediter
WE USE PRE TRIP TO THERE GREAT. DON'T GO TO A FREIGHTLINER FOR AN INSPECTION. WE DID IN BIRMINGHAM AL. WE WENT TO EVERY TRUCK STOP IN TOWN TRYING TO GET ONE DONE. THE T/A WOULD DO IT BUT NOT ON OUR FORM ONLY ON THERES. I WENT OFF ON THEM. SO AFTER DRIVIING ALL OVER I CALLED FRIEGHTLINER LAST RESORT. THEY SAID SHURE COME ON IN. SO AWAY WE WENT. WE DIDN'T HAVE TO WAIT VERY LONG. THE GUY WHO DID IT CRACKED ME UP HE WAS SO SLOW WE LAUGHED. HE CHECK THE FORM 2 TO 3 TIMES FOR EACH THING HE WAS TO CHECK. I FIGURED HE WAS TRYING TO TAKE HIS TIME MORE PAY. SO AFTER HIS 45 MINUTE INSPECTION I WENT TO PAY.THE SERVICE MANGER TOLD THE MAN WHO WAS RINGING ME UP 2 I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT HE MENT UNTILL I GOT THE BILL IT WAS $110.00. I TOLD HIM HE MUST HAVE THOUGHT I WAS STUPID I WASN'T GOING TO PAY THAT. HE SAID OK I'LL KEEP YOUR TRUCK. SO I PAID AND LEFT. I TOLD THEM THEY'D NEVER SEE US IN THERE AGAIN AND I WOULD TELL AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBE HOW THEY RIPPED ME OFF.

Christyrose

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Bobbysgirl, are you saying that you paid 110.00 for a truck inspection? Truck inspections that are required are usually paid for by the company your working for. Any trucking firm that requires an inspection also keeps a listing of inspection stations that they use where a prepayment or contract has been made.

I hoped you kept a copy of the receipt and turned the orginal over to your company for repayment.