Oil, additives and fuel saving products

Rising_Cow

Active Expediter
Anyone have any thoughts on Lucas products and engine treatments for vans.
I know K&N and Spector filters work, but what about a full cold air system for fuel saving?

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
Anyone have any thoughts on Lucas products and engine treatments for vans.
I know K&N and Spector filters work, but what about a full cold air system for fuel saving?

If you use full syn oil, you dont need any oil treatment . Same with the fuel one.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Any thoughts on switching from dino oil to a full synth at 438,000 miles,
My 4.8 seemingly doesn't burn it's lube.
I'm confident it's dropped it's HP from when it was new, but it holds it's own.
Current oil pressure is about 42-43 @ 70 MPH and about 25-30 at neutral idle.
Risks? Worth the expense on a 400k+ miler?

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator

Murray,
Why mess with something that works? Keep doing what you are doing.

I have been using good dino oil in my 2004 sprinter since the first oil change. People told me that my engine would disintegrate if I don't use the expensive synthetic oil. Well, I just turned 602,000 miles. No fuel and oil additives either. Oh, and oil changes every 15,000 miles. I had oil analyses done on the oil and I could still run the oil longer, but I decided to change it at 15k anyway. And on top of that, they told me that my engine is wearing less than the average of all their sprinters that they did oil analyses on.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using EO Forums mobile app

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Murray,
Why mess with something that works? Keep doing what you are doing.

I have been using good dino oil in my 2004 sprinter since the first oil change. People told me that my engine would disintegrate if I don't use the expensive synthetic oil. Well, I just turned 602,000 miles. No fuel and oil additives either. Oh, and oil changes every 15,000 miles. I had oil analyses done on the oil and I could still run the oil longer, but I decided to change it at 15k anyway. And on top of that, they told me that my engine is wearing less than the average of all their sprinters that they did oil analyses on.

Like!!!
I'll do exactly that. I like 15K!! I've been doing 7K for the last year and was at 6K before that. But I ask about condition and they always say the oil LOOKS new. I should get it tested.
It sucks having to get my oil changed every 2 weeks. Sometimes every 3. Just gets old.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Switched ours at about 250k. Same van as yours. Seemed to bump up oil pressure a bit. Also stretched out oil changes to 12k. I go 15-18k on the sprinter using synthetic.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Like!!!
I'll do exactly that. I like 15K!! I've been doing 7K for the last year and was at 6K before that. But I ask about condition and they always say the oil LOOKS new. I should get it tested.
It sucks having to get my oil changed every 2 weeks. Sometimes every 3. Just gets old.

Murray,
I wouldn't go to 15k intervals without oil analyses to see if you can safely do that.

My sprinter takes 2.5 gals of oil. So I started at 10k, then 12k, then 15k and I stopped there. I also stopped having the oil tedted. Good enough for me

Sent from my SCH-S720C using EO Forums mobile app

Rising_Cow

Active Expediter
forgot the van I'm getting is a ford 5.4 used, but that's 4.5 to 5 hours putting those plugs in. Had a expo with 5.4

Rising_Cow

Active Expediter
Yep a good reason to get top notch plugs, my body don't like be twisted much anymore either. Plus I'll get me a k&n air filter. Has anyone heard of Dana beads? Supposed to keep tires always balanced, some of my biker friend use them. Told me to use them on my bike, and wondering how well they work on van tires?

asap4u

Expert Expediter
In our sterlings with mercedes 900 engines and volvos with cummins n 14 and isx engines we use Motul Tekma Mega X 15w40 CI-4. The CI-4 has more Zddp than the stripped down newer spec Cj-4. Could impact engines with diesel part filters with earlier clean cycles. Longer drain intervals.
DISCLAIMER: Our sister company , performanceoilstore.com ,distributes high end engine and gear oils.