Ohio Soilders and Sailor's Orphans Home Graveyard in Xenia Ohio needs repaired.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I wanted to post this as I know that many of you drivers have a heart of GOLD. As some of you may know I lived at this children's home until I graduated high school in 1987. When I lived there it was called the Ohio Veterans Children's Home as the name was changed in 1974. The great state of of Ohio closed "The Home" as we called it in 1995. It was a grand place that helped over 13,500 children over 125 years that The Home was open.

Since it closed in 1995 and the land was sold and the children's graveyard has been taken care of, but the head stones are starting to get really bad. A fellow Orphan is trying to raise the $150,000.00 to have the head stones redone. There is a book and a DVD called "A Home of Their Own" that this Orphan had made about the history of this once grand place in Xenia, Ohio. Here is a link to facebook page to get the book. https://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Ho...os-Greatest-Orphanage/136840159686660?fref=ts

Children of Veterans could go to school there. We lived on campus and went to school on campus. I wanted to post this not break any rules, but to try to help them raise money for the headstones of the Children's Graveyard.

You can donate the money to
Home History Fund
CO/William Chavanne
1209 Westwood Ave
Columbus, Ohio, 43212

You can call William to see that this is legit at
614-361-8738 or 614-486-486-2143

Here is a little information about the book.

The Ohio Soldiers and Sailors Home came into its remarkable life during the 1870s, a moral response to the debt owed Ohio families damaged and destroyed by their fealty to the great national struggle just ended the American Civil War. On a desolate hilltop just outside the Green County town of Xenia, Ohio, an entire park-like campus sprang into being. By the turn of the century, a thousand children were housed, clothed, fed, and educated at the place they called the Home. It was nearly 500 acres containing, among other things, a farm, its own power plant, an extensive trades school, playing fields and total self-sufficiency.

For a hundred years or more, the Home was one of America s most remarkable institutions. Late in the century, however, powerful shifts in the culture conspired against it. The emerging foster care system and its advocates using the negative image of poorly managed institutions, selected figures and statistics, dwindling political support by the once powerful veterans, and a difficult new demographic of seriously disturbed children - all this eroded its once formidable presence.

Historian Edward Lentz's carefully reconstructed history bolstered by dozens of photographs and voices of the children is a compelling story, provoking the question: Should we once again consider orphanages as a way of caring for parentless children?

Last edited: