Ohio-based cargo van license plates/e-check?

guido4475

Not a Member
Good morning, everyone! I was on the phone with the license bureau on saturday,and I was surprised to find out that my van needs to get an e-check done,(emissions) even though it is a diesel.Anyone have to go through this? And I guess i need to run truck plates on it,because my only other choice is non-comm (commercial) plates.What does everyone else based out of Ohio run with? I'm just curious and wondering, thanks.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I run Truck plates, and I up'd the GVW to 10,001 on the Plates to make it E-check exempt, Pay a little more plates. But that was when we had to pay for e-check, now it's free.but I always thought diesels were exempt? I think I would check into that futher,

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It appears E-check is only in certain counties and over 10,001 is exempt..BUT there is an exemption form you can fill out...

Ohio E- Check Program Emissions Changes

Effective 1/1/06

The following will impact ownership transfers, state transfers and renewals for specific counties in Ohio.

The new e-check (emissions) requirements for the following Cleveland/Akron counties will take effect 1/1/06.

Cuyahoga

Geauga

Lake

Lorain

Medina

Portage

Summit

Procedures for Cleveland/Akron area:

Vehicles that expire on or after 1/1/06 will follow the new rules as described below:

* All vehicles that are 4 years old and newer are exempt from emissions testing. This means that in the year 2006, model year vehicles 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2006 are exempt from testing.
* Even year vehicles beginning with 2002 and older with 2006 expiration dates are required to test. The vehicle model years are between 1982-2002 in the year 2006. Even model-year vehicles must be inspected in even years, and odd-year models will be inspected in odd years.
* Commercial vehicles with GVW 10,001 and greater, trailers, equipment, and forklifts are exempt.
* Diesel engines equal to or less than 10,000 GVW are required for an e-check. Unless you already have a permanent diesel exemption form, a copy of this form will be required.

The E-check contact phone number is 800-227-8378 (800-CAR-TEST).

Vehicles in the following Cincinnati/Dayton counties that expire on or after 1/1/06 will no longer need e-check to renew the plates:

Butler
Clark
Clermont
Greene
Hamilton
Montgomery
Warren

Last edited:

guido4475

Not a Member
I do appreciate the wealth of info from everybody here.Just got back from the alignment shop which is supposed to be reputable.They inspected it and told me I needed both tie rods,centerlink,and a drivers side wheel bearing.but when I replaced the front springs last week I checked everyting and it looked fine.I think they were just wanting some money.the estimate including alignment was close to 1,500 So I called Ryder and faxed them a copy of the estimate and they told me to bring it in to Ryder tomarrow and they will take care of it and anything else that I can find wrong.The service engine soon light also came on. So I might as well make use of the 2 weeks left on the warranty.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
10,001 plate registration is not the same as the vehicle's GVW, and all commercial and non-commercial vehicles with a GVW of 10,000 or less have to be inspected, unless the vehicle is less than 4 years old or fits into one of the other exemptions listed below.

From epa.state.oh.us
Which vehicles must be tested

Which vehicles must be tested
Testing cycle
All gasoline and diesel-fueled vehicles, including flexible fuel and hybrid vehicles, equal to or less than 10,000 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW), 25 years old or newer from the current testing year, and registered in an E-Check county must comply with E-Check. All even model year vehicles must be tested during the even-numbered years (e.g. a 1998 vehicle must be tested in 2002, 2004, etc.). All odd model year vehicles must be tested during the odd-numbered years (e.g. a 1999 vehicle must be tested in 2003, 2005, etc.).
IMPORTANT: An inspection certificate is valid for 365 days following the date of the test. You may use that same test certificate to renew your registration if your renewal date falls within 365 days from the initial test.
New vehicles
New vehicles are exempt for the first four model years. For example, 2006 to 2009 model year vehicles are exempt from testing in 2009.

Diesel-powered cars and trucks also undergo inspection. They receive an opacity test, which differs from the tailpipe test gasoline-powered vehicles receive (Diesel vehicles are not significant sources of hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide, but they do emit large amounts of particulate matter, a documented respiratory irritant. So, diesel vehicles receive a special test relating to particulate matter).

Model year 1996 and newer gasoline-fueled vehicles and model year 1997 and newer diesel-fueled vehicles less than 10,001 lbs GVWR will undergo an OBD II test instead of the tailpipe test. For more information on OBD II, please see the OBD II FAQ.

From epa.state.oh.us
Permanent Exemptions

What is the difference between a PERMANENT EXEMPTION and owning a vehicle that is PERMANENTLY EXEMPT? Vehicles that are eligible for a PERMANENT EXEMPTION must make arrangements for the vehicle to have a one-time visual inspection performed by Ohio EPA Mobile Sources field staff. These vehicles include:

1. Electrically powered vehicles; (One time verification inspection by Ohio EPA Mobile Sources Section required.)
  2. Vehicles operating on alternative fuel, such as propane, butane, alcohol, or natural gas. (One time verification inspection by Ohio EPA Mobile Sources Section required.)
  3. Non-commercial vehicles weighing more than 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight
Several types of vehicles are PERMANENTLY EXEMPT from the E-Check test requirement and do not need a visual inspection. A complete list with a detailed explanation may be found in Ohio Revised Code, Section 3704.14. It is not necessary for vehicle owners that are permanently exempt to be issued an exemption certificate. The most common types are listed below.

1. Vehicles more than 25 years old, as determined by vehicle model year;
  2. Commercial vehicles weighing more than 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight;
  3. Historical and collector's vehicles - contact Ohio BMV for details;
  4. Parade and exhibition vehicles - contact Ohio BMV for details;
  5. Motorcycles, recreational vehicles and motor homes - contact Ohio BMV for details;
There may be other circumstances under which you may qualify for an exemption or an extension. If you have questions, contact an Ohio EPA E-Check field office or the Ohio EPA Mobile Sources Section, P.O. Box 1049, Columbus, Ohio 43216-1049 Phone: (614) 644-3059.